• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc 400 in a m818

tiny110

Banned
I have been thinking about turbocharging my 5 ton. But I came up with the idea of just going ahead in repowering it with a nhc 400. Does anyone know if anyone has ever been able to accomplish it before? I know the block is supposed to be the same. How about the motor mounts and the bell housing?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
also not sure about the front motor mount, do not think they are the same as the 800s

jrod66

this is an awesome idea, wish I had the extra money for a 400, I would slap that bad boy right into my 925, I would say build the tranny while youre at it, worth the insurance imo

M813A1

Heck why turbo the motor just get a 400 Cummins non turbo !! then you do not have to worry about the turbo plumbing !! then it should just bolt right in ?? You might want to think about putting a 7 speed trans in to give you better road speed then the 5 speed ??

tiny110

Banned
I already have 53 inch tires on the truck so road speed is not a problem. I just need more power to move the tires as well as I would still like to be able to come on 40 foot flatbed. I don't want a 900 series truck because I think they are just downright ugly. Sorry 900 series guys.

tiny110

Banned
I will likely end up going to 49 or 46 inch tires. Is it possible to put the cummins big cam it in and bolt it up to the bell housing and keep the 6 wheel drive and the same transmission?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Why not just get a M916
Whole M915's are selling for less than a million mile plus pull out 400 engine.

You'll spend more on repowering a 800 series truck than you can get a M915 for.

What the M915 lacks in looks it makes up for in pulling, road speed and comfort compared to the M818.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Whole M915's are selling for less than a million mile plus pull out 400 engine.

You'll spend more on repowering a 800 series truck than you can get a M915 for.

What the M915 lacks in looks it makes up for in pulling, road speed and comfort compared to the M818.
and going CHEAP, I saw some rebuilds that are showing low miles

I drove a 915 that would do 65 easy, 70 with some work (this was before the bottom of the tank got sucked), has S-cam brakes, rides a lot better

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks