• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 M998 Submarine

UboatCommander

Its a long story. The short answer is about 4 hours. It would have been helpful to have the snorkel on the truck instead of up in the attic.

I think the engine still would have died since the battery box was not sealed and the salt water shorted them out. But the engine would not have hydo-locked. It didn't make any noise when it blew, I guess I was distracted by the 135 mph winds. When the storm surge went out there was oil on the ground under the truck and it took me a while to figure out why.

I had the engine replaced, but they apparently did not flush the fuel tank out. It ran fine for a while and finally died out. I have drained the tank and changed the filter and it fired once, but no more. I am thinking injectors and maybe injection pump. I did put a new fuel pump on.

Anybody have any advice?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is it a 6.2 variant or 6.5? In both cases the ability to be submerged is based solely on the seals on all critical components. Just like a Deuce is equiped with a fording kit the Marine M998's had sealed componets to allow them to drive underwater up to the snorkle. I would do a complete purge of all non sealed systems and go from there.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I didnt say they are not awesome I have rescued people in Wheeling WV during the floods of 96 and had mine submerged to the middle of my seat and it ran strong. We even drove them up and down the Wheeling Civic Center steps to get folks of there since it was surrounded by flood water. As the water got deeper the rescues were handed off to .... you guessed it the dueces. They kept going till everyone that wanted out got out safely.

A funny thing about that was out on the Wheeling Island there were many new homes underwater and a few very old homes built on huge tapered foundations that kept the floodwater out of the home safely sitting on top. Kinda came to mind seeing all the NOLA flooding and how they need a southern spillway like the one north of the city to buffer the buildings in the city.

A wise man built his house apon the rock.

Jimmy

Normally what hurts the most is the amount of time the vehicle sits after you get it out of the water before you start the repairs, especially in salt water. That is when it starts to eat everything up. If you went deep enough to hydrolock the engine then you can bet the water got to every component which you will have to service, like the trans and differentials. I don't know what all was changed when you changed the engine but I would start with the injector pump if you have fuel up to that point because an injector pump is just like a little motor in itself and if it has sit with salt water in it I would bet it will need a rebuild. I used to own a salvage operation and have pulled many things from the water and you would be amazed how fast things go down hill once brought back to dry land. Good luck

UboatCommander

It is a 6.2. I had the presence of mind to close the trans vent, but alas the snorkel was not in place.

David, thanks for your service to our country.

mangus580

UBC, based on your description so far, I would be inclined to agree on the IP and injectors. When you say you had it running and it quit... then drained and refilled everything. Are you sure you got all the air bled out of the fuel system?

mangus580

Sounds like its bled. Crack injector lines and crank... see if you get fuel there. If not, I suspect something is wrong in the pump. Could be as simple as a stuck solenoid valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks