• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge plate yellow?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the correct color for the yellow on 1950s to 1960s bridge plates? And what off-the-shelf commercial equivalent would you recommend?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
vtdeucedriver or ddoyle will know this. I have the info somewhere but dang if I can find it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search older posts. There was some discussion on school bus yellow from Napa. I bought "original equipment" yellow from napa...pretty darn close.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GSA log calls it "Chrome Yellow Flat" IMHO. May be tough to get in a spray can. Krylon made a yellow primer that was a great match but I have not seen it for sale in some time.

dg

vtdeucedriver

I used a catapillar yellow...........................looks really good.................what I can do...........I happen to be sitting on a NOS yellow one. I can pull it out and try and match what is close.................But I have heard that its Chrome Yellow.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Bridge plate yellow?

Thanks for the info everyone! I stopped at NAPA today and got myself a can of School Bus Yellow and it looks like it will be a winner!

JDToumanian

I happen to be sitting on a NOS yellow one. I can pull it out and try and match what is close.
I'd appreciate that, Jeff... I did find a can of school bus yellow today, but they also had 'old caterpillar yellow' and 'new caterpillar yellow'... all three seemed to be very close, I'm curious which is closest to NOS. School bus yellow actually does NOT seem to be a prefect match to the original yellow numbers I have, but they are probably faded.

Regards,
Jon

JDToumanian

Here's a pic comparing Krylon's '1809 - School Bus Yellow' from Napa to original yellow bridge plate numbers. The Krylon is the darker one in the middle with the green along the bottom. Looks darker, more orange than the pic of the front of Armada's truck... (Is that not Krylon?)

I'm not sure if my numbers are faded or if I need to keep looking for a closer match.

Jon

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Story behind my Yellow Bridge Plate. Went with a friend of mine (Vermont Commercial Salvage) to Sarafans when they were in NY. I had always heard about the place so I wanted to check it out. When we were in the warehouse, I could not believe the MOUNTAINS of parts they had. WW2 jeep stuff right on up. Well one of the things he bought was a triwall of Bridge Plates. I think there were over 600 in the box. I asked if they were yellow and he said that they were mostly green but they had been finding some yellow mixed in. So he bought the lot. Well about 3 days later. I visited george and he was still going through bridge plates, checking them one by one. He had been through just over half when I got there. I asked him as he was checking and talking. "find any yellow ones yet? If you did, I'll buy one" "no" he started to say as he opened up another box and then quickly said "yep" and handed it to me! Should have bought a lottery ticket, now that I think about it. Out of the 600, only 2 were yellow.

We have a paint-shop here which can take a scan of any color (you have to bring in a specimen with the original paint, in my case a bridge plate) and reproduce it in a mixing apparatus. It is supposed to have a good accuracy.
I'll do that with my original bridge-plate numbers to get the correct yellow for marking the nose of the hood and the round bridge-plate number sign on the passenger door on my deuce.

Maybe this would be a solution? Good thing is that you get a mixing code and can come back anytime to get some more.
I suppose what we have here is to be found in the US as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Wolf.Dose

We have a paint shop in Speyer which also can mix the colours. But the 100% correct yellow they can not do any more. Rapsgelb is the closesed I know. It is more bright than Chromegelb.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks