• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

118712 24 volt military coil from Boyce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I just bought a 24 volt military coil from Boyce, but the connection at the top is new to me.
Physically it is the same sort of format, but instead of having a metal lining to the inside of the
hole, it is just the plastic side of the hole. There is a metal bottom to the hole as though you were looking at the end of a sawed off brass rod.

Is anyone familiar with these coils? I need to make up a wire that goes from there to the distributor which is just your standard civilian type 12 volt distributor that was put into
this old XM211 along with a manual transmission.

JasonS

Normally, the high voltage receptacle shell is held in with a screw; maybe this was forgotten when manufactured? You know, you don't need a special coil for 24V. The M35/ M135/ M211 military distributors used a standard 1.5ohm AC delco coil. You just have to limit the current through the points. I use a 3ohm pertronix coil and two 1.5ohm ballast resistors.

Attachments

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jason,
I realize you don't need a 24 volt coil, but I was trying to keep things simple and avoid mounting resistors, etc.
The strange thin g about this coil is that it not only has that flat contact area in the bottom of the hole, but it
has two tabs that stick out with holes in them at the top of the can which appoear to be
for securing some kind of cap or some such. The other thing that is strange is that the can is
chrome plated. I figure it was intende3d to be inserted into some holder of some kind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks