• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a3 hub brake conversion question

five0h

Hoping this isnt another same old question. Been searching and searching for quite some time. Finally joined.

A buddy of mine and I each have m101a3, well he has his, mine is on the way.

Our tow vehicles are 8x170, and as I am sure you all know, the trailers are 8x6.5

We are looking for ways to convert them to 8x170 so as to be consistent wheel wise when we are a few hundred miles out into our camping/exploring trips.

I got the crazy idea that maybe a 2wd 99 and up superduty front hub might fit onto the spindle. Obviously it would take some measuring for bearings etc to match it up. Then we would just need to drill out the existing drum to 8x170...voila.

Ideally we would, or rather I would like to switch this thing out to electric brakes so I can use the trailer to help slow on descents from the gain lever in the cab...but one step at a time.

So it cant be this easy. What am I missing.

Anyone have any better ideas for this?

I guess my next step is to take a m101a3 hub to the parts store and compare it to a 2wd superduty, and then see if its too long, too short, and if I can match beaings etc up to it....

five0h

Well first problem is 2wd superduty front hubs are built into the rotors...back to the drawing board

five0h

Why what?

This:
Ideally we would, or rather I would like to switch this thing out to electric brakes so I can use the trailer to help slow on descents from the gain lever in the cab...but one step at a time.

or this:

We are looking for ways to convert them to 8x170 so as to be consistent wheel wise when we are a few hundred miles out into our camping/exploring trips.

Better to drag a trailer with no wheel than have a truck with no tires.

harleyhouse

Stupid FORD and now the newest GM 3/4 ton trucks for switching to a metric bolt pattern.
It was so much easier when everything Bigger was 8 on 6.5 .

Looks like a new DEXTER axle is in order or at munimum a pair of hub adapters.
Good if you have deep back spaced rims, bad if you dont and it shoves the wheel out.

I lucked out I drive a 2002 2500HD CC and my wheels were a match.
ebay has several sellers with adapters.

Attachments

five0h

Yeah. Our rims are 17x8 with a 4.75 inch bs.

Not sure what the trailer bs is.

Was kind of hoping that I wouldn't need to run a spacer.
One thought is run the f250 front hub with disc, and run the dexter caliper kit. Would need to fab up caliper brackets, which is less of a headache than getting the bearings to fit the f250 hub to the trailer spindle...

Hmmm. May have to order one up to see

Cook4794

I have this same question. I bought a 2014 Duramax (old body style) and I was under the assumption that since they share the same body, and style rims, that it would be the original bolt patter. Boy was I wrong. I'm going to be searching for a hub conversion as well to match my DMAX. My trailer right now is setup to hold a spare tire. Unfortunately Murphy is a *******, and during one of my hunting trips I suffered 2 Flat tires on my trailer. Luckily I carry plug kits so I was able to get them up to snuff to get out.

It would be handy to have the same style tire/rim/bolt pattern for the truck and trailer. If I had a older DMAX I would have been able to swap both wheels with my trailer spare, and my truck's spare.

five0h

I ended up just running an 8x6.5 to 8x170 spacer when I had it behind my superduty.

now I have a GMC Yukon and I got 8x6.5 to 6x6.5 spacers.

i have a really nice set of the 8x6.5 to 8x170 spacers sitting in the garage I need to sell. They were stupid expensive when new...

Cook4794

Did you experience any problems running the spacers?

I need 8x180 spacers If I was to go that route. thinking that will be my best option..

five0h

The only problem I had was the tire sticks out a little, like an inch on each side... Kind of annoying... But I think I'm the only one who notices. Other than that. No
downside.

Cook4794

The only problem I had was the tire sticks out a little, like an inch on each side... Kind of annoying... But I think I'm the only one who notices. Other than that. No
downside.
I'm not to worried about that I guess. I have those massive wheel well/fenders to fill up. Plus i'll only be using stock rims/tire size.

did you have any problems with them loosening?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all 8x6.5 hubs/hub openings are the same....earlier GM 8-lugs used smaller hub openings than Ford & Dodge. You can fit older Ford/Dodge 8x6.5 wheels on GM 8x6.5 hubs, but cannot fit older GM 8x6.5 wheels onto Ford/Dodge 8x6.5 hubs.

HMWWV wheels are GM pattern, BTW...I know a couple of guys who wanted to fit the HMWWV wheels onto their older Fords/Dodges but had to enlarge the hub openings to do so. I don't know if the M101A3 wheels/hubs are GM-pattern or Ford/Dodge; since I've seen several of these trailers with HMWWV wheels, I assume that they are GM-pattern (smaller hub opening). So CUCV & M880 8-lug wheels should fit these trailers, but the trailer wheels won't fit on M880s.

Spacers would be a quick & inexpensive way to go, as fiveOh mentioned he did.

Cook4794

Not all 8x6.5 hubs/hub openings are the same....earlier GM 8-lugs used smaller hub openings than Ford & Dodge. You can fit older Ford/Dodge 8x6.5 wheels on GM 8x6.5 hubs, but cannot fit older GM 8x6.5 wheels onto Ford/Dodge 8x6.5 hubs.

HMWWV wheels are GM pattern, BTW...I know a couple of guys who wanted to fit the HMWWV wheels onto their older Fords/Dodges but had to enlarge the hub openings to do so. I don't know if the M101A3 wheels/hubs are GM-pattern or Ford/Dodge; since I've seen several of these trailers with HMWWV wheels, I assume that they are GM-pattern (smaller hub opening). So CUCV & M880 8-lug wheels should fit these trailers, but the trailer wheels won't fit on M880s.

Spacers would be a quick & inexpensive way to go, as fiveOh mentioned he did.

Right, I understand they are the GM style. I figured I made that clear speaking about my Duramax and what not. I don't want the HMWWV rims or anything like that. I just want to end up being able to use my same wheel pattern as my truck. The spacers should solve that problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks