• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bed on M-818

Maxgussam

Has anyone done this?
How much, if any, did the bed need to be shortened?
I would like to retain the 5th wheel, if possible, and devise some method of removing the bed in order to pull a trailer. I thought about welding an old kingpin plate to latch to the 5th wheel, and using something similar to the holding system used on container chassis to secure the bed onto the truck.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
junkyardwarscrusher had an old M52 tractor with a deuce bed on. It looked sharp, great for offroading too. Here's a pic.

Here's what I would do if you want to go that route - get a M818, remove the fifth wheel hitch and the spare tire holder behind the cab. Mark on a DROPSIDE DEUCE BED where all the bolt holes are to mount the fifth wheel plate with the bolts going THROUGH the bed to attach to the frame underneath. Mount the bed, THEN the fifth wheel plate. If you want to use it as a cargo truck, you're already set. If you want to use it as a tractor, pull the sides off the DROPSIDE DEUCE BED, and the tailgate, and use the fifth wheel hitch with the bed still installed.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
IMHO you do not want the 5th wheel on top of the bed. You need for the trailer to be able to move up and down as the tractor moves over obstacles.

I had thought about doing the same thing to my M915 since I only pull a trailer once or twice a year.

My plan was to remove the spare tire rack so I could get the bed as close to the cab as possible.

I was then going to attach anchor points to the front and rear of the frame.

Heavy duty turnbuckles would hold the bed into place and I considered putting a kingpin plate on the bottom of the bed for extra security.

The bed would have been suspended from a frame when not on the truck and it would have been easy to remove/install.

The bed would have sat a little higher to clear the fifth wheel but not more than a few inches.

I actually have a deuce bed sitting on my M275 just to keep it off the ground. I'll try to make some pics tomorrow.

One thing to think about is that tractors have very heavy duty springs........you are going to have a very rough ride unless you bolt a couple of plates of 1/2 steel into the bottom of the bed.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Has anyone done this?
How much, if any, did the bed need to be shortened?
I would like to retain the 5th wheel, if possible, and devise some method of removing the bed in order to pull a trailer. I thought about welding an old kingpin plate to latch to the 5th wheel, and using something similar to the holding system used on container chassis to secure the bed onto the truck.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
HUM, just a thought, wonder what search would have found, I would bet not much so most likly would have been a waste of time looking anyway..

dezert ratt

my 818 with a shortened deuce bed. I kinda wish i had a full length bed so i could get a cover for the back. Someday ill have one made. As far as keeping a functional 5th wheel hitch, seems like it wouldnt work out too well with the bed mounted.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bed sectioned out about 2 ft. and retained the spare tire/utility box rack. The bed hangs off the frame end about 14". I like the short wheelbase for ease of maneuvering. Only drawback is I will have to custom cut a cargo cover to fit when I get one. I did not retain the fifth wheel.

Attachments

Maxgussam

IMHO you do not want the 5th wheel on top of the bed. You need for the trailer to be able to move up and down as the tractor moves over obstacles.

I had thought about doing the same thing to my M915 since I only pull a trailer once or twice a year.

My plan was to remove the spare tire rack so I could get the bed as close to the cab as possible.

I was then going to attach anchor points to the front and rear of the frame.

Heavy duty turnbuckles would hold the bed into place and I considered putting a kingpin plate on the bottom of the bed for extra security.

The bed would have been suspended from a frame when not on the truck and it would have been easy to remove/install.

The bed would have sat a little higher to clear the fifth wheel but not more than a few inches.

I actually have a deuce bed sitting on my M275 just to keep it off the ground. I'll try to make some pics tomorrow.

One thing to think about is that tractors have very heavy duty springs........you are going to have a very rough ride unless you bolt a couple of plates of 1/2 steel into the bottom of the bed.
This is very close to what I was planning. I think that for now I will install the bed minus the 5th wheel.
I see from the video that I may have issues with the height of the bed ( loading, unloading) if I retain the 5th wheel. I did not realize that the kingpin height was so much greater than on a road tractor.
Thanks to everyone for the opinions and pics, I hope that my truck turns out as well as all of yours!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is very close to what I was planning. I think that for now I will install the bed minus the 5th wheel.
May be the way to go 'till you realise you really do need that 5th wheel, but it will give you time to see if you can accept the higher bed...

I see from the video that I may have issues with the height of the bed ( loading, unloading) if I retain the 5th wheel. I did not realize that the kingpin height was so much greater than on a road tractor.
On the other hand, I think I would slot the bottom/front of the bed, so that the it slides past and around the fifth wheel, keeping the outsides and the rear the same height as the standard height. Kind of a reverse stepside pickup. I agree it would be a lot of work, but a secret 5th wheel!

Attachments

rrrr

Here's my M932a1 with a shortend deuce drop side bed. I thought about trying to leave the tow plate on and do the same thing. There would be way too much fabrication required to get it to work right.

Attachments

Maxgussam

May be the way to go 'till you realise you really do need that 5th wheel, but it will give you time to see if you can accept the higher bed...

On the other hand, I think I would slot the bottom/front of the bed, so that the it slides past and around the fifth wheel, keeping the outsides and the rear the same height as the standard height. Kind of a reverse stepside pickup. I agree it would be a lot of work, but a secret 5th wheel!
Kind of like the "channeling" mod the hot rodders do to lower a car, I guess.
Cool idea!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sevin7 did a Deuce bed on his 818. It might be in this year's Haspin pics.

MT4222

my 818 with a shortened deuce bed. I kinda wish i had a full length bed so i could get a cover for the back. Someday ill have one made. As far as keeping a functional 5th wheel hitch, seems like it wouldnt work out too well with the bed mounted.
How much did you take off your deuce bed?

Gunner0311

Yes!

I shorted mine 24 inches before I mounted it on my M52A2, but I left about a twenty
inch gap between the cargo box and the tool box to step up onto and access the
air lines. Plus the gap allowed me to climb up into the cargo much with less effort...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks