• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA to ND trip

feezy

Looking to take my 88 deuce on a drive from Renton, WA to Bismarck, ND around the 10th of August, I had planned on I-90 to US-12 to I-94, it's right around 1200 miles. Just wanted to know if anyone has a better route or any suggestions for the trip (I've never driven through there before, much less in a MV).

Also I was hoping if I encountered any problems on the drive, there may be a fellow member or 2 along the route, since I'm pretty new to owning a deuce.

Just trying to be prepared for the what if(s), Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

feezy

Thanks, I'll keep him in mind although primarily the trip through montana is what worries me most, or if US-12 is the way to go to knock some milage off.

Bighurt

Let me know if you have space, for a load. I have a cover and towbar in Washington that need a lift east. See me thread in transportation if interested. On my phone ATM so I have to be brief

feezy

I saw a post and replied to it for a load going from wa to nd, might have been yours, 6' box about 300 lbs,..was that yours?

waayfast

HHMMM!?
I looked at a map to see what you had in mind for your route.
If you are looking for the quickest, most efficient stay on the freeway.

I-90 all the way thru WA, ID, MT and at Billings MT jump on I-94 to ND.

If you are thinking about US 12:
I-90 to Vantage (the next town past Ellensburg) just across the Columbia River take HWY26, head past Othello,Starbuck, Pomeroy to Lewiston ID.

Stay on 12 past Orofino to Kooskia (there is a Steel Soldiers member in Lenore)--head up the Lochsa and over the top to Lolo. Left at the stop sign --on to Missoula and your back to I-90.

By doing this you just added about an extra day to your trip but will get to see some spectacular scenery form Lewiston to Missoula.
HWY12 is slow, crooked, narrow and can be kinda busy with tourists, log trucks, graintrucks and THE MOST DANGEROUS OF ALL!!------BICYCLES!!

I used to know the mile markers along 12 for the hot springs along the river (Weir, Jeremiah Johnson etc) but it's been too many years ago:-D.

Hope any of this helps, Jim

wsucougarx

Congrats Freezy!!! I know Joe took good care of his trucks. You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever on your journey home. The only issue I can forsee is a sore face from grinning ear to ear:driver:

feezy

Waayfast;
Thanks for the heads up about the route, I figured US -12 would save me about 30 miles, but if its that big of a pain, then I'll take your suggestion and stick to the interstates.

Wsucougarx;
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting her to her new home, or at least until I get orders somewhere else again, I never doubted the truck, just hard to shake the navy mentality of "plan for the worst, hope for the best".. I'm sure the drive will be great.
As for Joe, He's been a huge help , I couldn't have hoped to have found a better, nicer, more accomodating guy to deal with, I'm looking forward to just being able to shake hands and have a beer with him here soon.

R/
Jamie

wsucougarx

Waayfast;
Thanks for the heads up about the route, I figured US -12 would save me about 30 miles, but if its that big of a pain, then I'll take your suggestion and stick to the interstates.

Wsucougarx;
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting her to her new home, or at least until I get orders somewhere else again, I never doubted the truck, just hard to shake the navy mentality of "plan for the worst, hope for the best".. I'm sure the drive will be great.
As for Joe, He's been a huge help , I couldn't have hoped to have found a better, nicer, more accomodating guy to deal with, I'm looking forward to just being able to shake hands and have a beer with him here soon.

R/
Jamie
LOL, Jamie I've got the same Navy mentality coupled with a Marine Corps flavor (green side Navy). I hope to get on to give you a big BZ after everything is said and done. Good luck!!

Bighurt

I saw a post and replied to it for a load going from wa to nd, might have been yours, 6' box about 300 lbs,..was that yours?
Yup, and a tow-bar.

I'm in Minot. You flying in from Spain to WA then driving to Bismarck? Or do you work in Bismarck and plan to drive out and back?

feezy

I'm going from spain (where I'm stationed to a confrerance in california, then trying to take leave, fly up to SEATAC, pick up the truck and drive to north dakota and park it my family's ranch, so 1 way trip, then I'll fly back to spain from there (do you know if they have MAC flights out of Minot?).

Anyway can you have somebody meet me with the cargo around Renton area, (I'm not real familiar with WA, and already making a 1200+ mile trip, unless it's on the way towards spokane, then i can stop and pick up, and can someone help me throw it in the bed, and I'll get it to just north of Bismarck off HWY 83 if you can meet me and we'll transfer it to your truck there either on the HWY or at my aunt's house (it's not far off the HWY)?

I put in my leave chit today, so pending approval right now, I'll let you know if it's a for sure deal

If that works for you and sounds like a plan, we can do it, not sure what shipping would normally have run, but I'm not looking to make any $$ off it, but if you can just throw a couple bucks my way (whatever you think is fair) to help out with some gas expenses I'd appreciate it...

R/

Jamie
864-335-8980 (south carolina vonage #, but it rings here in spain, no overseas charges)

Bighurt

It's not on it's way, I might be able to find it's way to Spokane.

http://tinyurl.com/82jxqx7

I can throw gas money your way as compensation.

Sorry, no space A. It's cheaper for the government to fly commercial, lol at least that's what they say. The only aircraft flying out of Minot these days are combat, no space. Used to be a med flight that would come in daily when i was an airmen, that turned into Thursdays, and now never. I think the closest is they call en-route to see if there is a patient pick-up. I can call SATO tomorrow but I doubt it, most likely going west if there is one.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know that I'd drive an MV over Lolo pass.

This sign is on the east side, but it works both directions. There were some tight turns and steep grades. You'd make better time and have more room to maneuver if you stay on the interstates.

Attachments

waayfast

This sign is on the east side, but it works both directions. There were some tight turns and steep grades. You'd make better time and have more room to maneuver if you stay on the interstates.

Yep, the more I read about the O.P.'s, trip the more I think HWY12 would be REALLY WRONG.

HWY12 should wait 'till one CAN take the time to enjoy it. Camp out along the river, hit the hot springs etc.

Jim

feezy

Well this post is a couple days late,.. But the trip went pretty well, slow and uncomfortable as to be expected but the deuce made the nearly 1300 mile drive without any problems, I did develope a leaky front left axel seal, which worried me a bit, but if it's not leaking it's empty.. at least thats how it works in the airplane world,..

So, after picking up the truck and a 101 trailer the night I flew in to seattle, I had planned on leaving the next morning which turned in to the next afternoon, so around 1100 on the 10th I departed the seattle area, .. went up HWY 18 where I picked up I-90 E,.. must have just missed the lunch crowd as traffic wasn't bad,.. The interstate wasn't bad, although I was down to around 34 MPH going over snoqualmie pass (and most off the mountain ranges along the way).

stopped and picked up some more parts to bring east with me around Vantage, WA and by this time my head was pounding and I thought,. god is this entire drive going to be like this,? then found a box of ear plugs in the glove box and man what a difference, couple that with some tylonal and gatorade and we were off again and feeling much better.

Stopped in Missoula, MT late that night and dropped off the trailer,.. had a good bullshi##t'n session for a couple hours and then back on the road,.. made it about another 50 miles till I had to grab some sleep at a rest area. Woke up the next morning and holy crap,. the VFW was selling breakfast !!, so I talked to the guys for a bit, had a couple cups of freshly brewed "go-juice" and some eats,... and on the road again, another day long drive ahead of me!

This time I got as far as the north dakota border, ( holy crap is montana a long state!) but I kept telling myself, gotta get to the border and then I'll sleep,.. well the border was foggy and I wasn't super tired so the fog finally lifted around dickinson, ND. Stopped for gas and energy drinks, and looked at the map,.. 100-ish miles to Bismarck, my destination was in sight!!

So with double shot expresso and a pack of smokes in hand,.. I made the last leg and finally got into bismarck around 0430 on the 12th. Almost 2 full days after I left,.. Although it was slow and at times painfull, it was fun and definatly an experiance to say the least. So All in all I spent around $600 on gas and snacks, stopped about a dozen times as the fuel guage doesn't work,.. so I had to check the level and keep topping off,...

But I did meet some really cool and helpful people along the way, so many thanks to: Joe Maxwell, Nolan Mortensen, Tony (Quarkz), Kurt Schmidt, Keith West and Jeremy (Bighurt), so to all of you thanks again, for both the patience and the hospitality and everything else...

I wish i could have taken some pictures along the way, the drive was absolutely beautiful, but unfortunatly I left it in spain in my hurry to pack... so my parting words from this adventure, if you ever get the chance, do the drive, just do it in something other than a deuce !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks