• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picture from Colemans trip - MV stuff needs to get rescued!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, got back from my trip up to Colemans Surplus in Millersburg, PA on Friday. Let's just say the yard has REALLY been thinned out, the scrappers and burners have really been at work, destroying a lot of iron. Most of what has been cut up is really junk, mostly old motors, scrap cars and misc trash. I think he's getting a lot of heat from the EPA and the PennDEP for having a lot of junk in the yard. Years of oil and PCBs are taking their toll, and I believe he feels compelled to get a lot of things either scrapped, or the good stuff put away in trailers, out of sight and mind. It needed to be done, but a lot of useful things, like Rockwell axles, and trailer frames, are being cut up for scrap metal.

There are some good things remaining there, you have to look for it in the weeds and among the scrap metal piles. I found TONS of good stuff I wish I had the money and space to rescue, but I hope posting a few pics here will get everyone off their butts and up to Colemans to save some good stuff.

Notes:

1. DO NOT ask me for prices unless I list them below. I only know the few prices below because I asked Shawn Coleman already. But I don't work for him, so I can't give prices on stuff I don't really own.

2. DO NOT call Shawn either at Colemans - for the most part, he doesn't leave his office, and knows little of what is really down in his yard. I believe this is one of the reasons why a lot of good stuff gets cut up, he can't price or save what he doesn't know is there. You really have to go there, point it out to him, and then ask.

3. If you ever want to go to the yard and look around, DO IT NOW. I believe that 6 months from now, the yard will be mostly cleaned out and the life expectancy of most of the green iron is short.

I will be going back in 2 weeks to salvage a truckload of stuff, while I can. So if there's something there you want me to get or look for, please let me know. If an item will cost a lot of money, I will need some cash to play with, I don't have credit cards, and I will be going up with only a limited supply of $$$, so keep that in mind.

Will post pics below.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last pics for this trip. I would've taken more, but it was 25 degrees, with a 40-mph gusting wind, and my camera batteries froze to the point they could not give me a good charge to the camera. Sorry I didn't take more.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some things I found that I didn't take pics of, thanks to dead batteries in the camera, were

300 amp 28volt voltage regulators, untested
28 volt ambulance sirens, whole pile of them
deuce tailgates
new, but weathered, air-ride seats for newer deuces and 5-tonners
winch for HMMWV
S-250 shelters - 2 of them, got a lot of electronic gear in them still

pa.rich

Disregard previous message ,I scrolled up and saw that it is in Millersberg , Pa. Gee, maybeI will take a day off and run , yes run fast over there. Maddawg, did Shawn say he sold the stuff to a dealer? Is he old and going out of business?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pa.rich said:
Do you know who is saving all the things into the trailers ? Where is this? I know you said Colemans, but in Virginia? Would love to see where its going to get a chance at buying some parts.
Not VA. PA. Millersburg, PA. The stuff in trailers is mostly small stuff that Shawn can sell in his catalog business. But for the most part, the MV parts are being scrapped, not saved.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pa.rich said:
Disregard previous message ,I scrolled up and saw that it is in Millersberg , Pa. Gee, maybeI will take a day off and run , yes run fast over there. Maddawg, did Shawn say he sold the stuff to a dealer? Is he old and going out of business?
He has about 10 employees, and he is FAR from going out of business. Shawn is about 40-45, so not old. Just cleaning up the yard from the mess his old man made when his father ran the business.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be interesting to know more about the gull wing enclosures.. sugar scoops worth $5.. Is an M116 genset trailer for a CUCV or an M35? still alot of decent stuff there.

westfolk

AAHHH, I miss the good old days of going to Colemans. Go out in the yard and walk around. During the summer trying to be there in the morning before it got hot and the bugs started eating you alive. Spend hours just looking and dreaming. It is different than it used to be. Heck I always liked to stop down and see Richard Greene when I went that way. Shame he died. Always had good stuff, and always did good deals with me. Enough of that.
As soon as "Derby" gets his EUC cleared I'll be going to Mechanicsburg with an M35A2C and pulling his M35A2 back. We plan on stopping at Colemans. Maybe fill the bed on both trucks. I hope the slightly taken apart 5 tons are still sitting. I need a few pieces. Also how about that pile, I think it was 10-12 M127 trailers, they still sitting way out back, down in the bottom.

surpdlr

Re: Picture from Colemans trip - MV stuff needs to get rescu

maddawg308 said:
Okay, got back from my trip up to Colemans Surplus in Millersburg, PA on Friday. I think he's getting a lot of heat from the EPA and the PennDEP for having a lot of junk in the yard. Years of oil and PCBs are taking their toll, and I believe he feels compelled to get a lot of things either scrapped, or the good stuff put away in trailers, out of sight and mind.

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/news/cwp/view.asp?Q=504794&A=3

AND OR:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=1204

The land fill finally proved the ground water contamination was not from them!!!

JDToumanian

Wow! The arrest and search was almost a year ago now. I wonder what the outcome was? Did it get settled out of court? I'm surprised the business is still open.

Sounds like they are exaggerating the extent of the contamination a little bit to me... the article says 1,4- dichlorobenzene was found in "samples from drums" not necessarily in the soil, and the alleged "burying of drums, utility poles... etc" could be simply that items were sinking in the mud and/or overgrown with weeds, rather that having been intentionally burried.

I think this is more of a matter of poor housekeeping than an actual "crime". If I were on the jury he would walk!

Jon

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pa.rich said:
Its only 3 hrs from my house,I really am thinking about going, I need a trailer.Anybody else want to go?
I could go on Monday the 29th with a trailer. Located in N. Va.
Andy

littlebob

If you watch srpldlrs links I saw a link about a Methlab crackdown that came up on the bottom. I hope the Government is spending more time on that. We've all done stupid stuff as far as the enviroment Years ago, but I don't think most of us did it deliberatly. I know I am much more responsible with my waste than I was 20 years ago when the laws were less strict and a lot of us were uninformed about the hazzards.
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks