• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

your camping trailer loadout recommendations

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a theoretical for you. You're building a camping trailer, one you can take to rallies and everything you need for your trip and to stay comfortable and fed should fit in this trailer. Doesn't matter what the trailer is, M101, M105, M416, civvy trailer - doesn't matter.

Question is: what would you pack along as the BII (Basic Issue Items) list for your camping trailer?

Please let's keep this serious - no "I want a jacuzzi and a 72" flatscreen in my camping trailer". If that's the case buy a Winnebago. I'm talking about a small single axle trailer that is your expedition/camp trailer, and everything needs to be for that purpose.

L1A1

This should be an interesting thread... I really liked the set up one of the S.S. members had at the '08 Va rally. It was an S-250(?) comm shelter mounted in the bed of an M105 trailer. With the tailgate in the horizontal position it formed a "front porch" of sorts.

As for gear, aside from basic change of clothes & hygene kit, meal prep gear. How about a small gen-set for power ( computer or work lights), large cooler, camp chair,

I'm sure I'll think of something else.....

Matt

If you're feeding/doing meal prep for more then just yourself, I made a colapsable wooden table that attached to the tailgate of my truck at one end and had folding legs on the other. With the tailgate down & the table set up, it made an "L" shaped work areea which was very handy.

Flyingvan911

I have thought about this too.

-tire changing tools, spare bulbs, etc.

-bottles/jugs of water.

-MRE's and snacks.

-sleeping bag or mattress and blankets.

-12 volt car battery and wires for charging cell phones, power inverters, lights,etc.

-bug spray, sunscreen, and hygiene items.

-clothes, towels and wash clothes.

Other items just depend on the person and the mission. These are the basics I take for weekend trips camping in the deuce.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
basic trailer tools, a 6 to 8" HOLE in the floor, a bed roll. this would be your basic camping trailer set, anything else would be EXTRAS

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some ideas I have:

BBQ grill - take the legs off it and mount it to a solid surface but with a drip pan underneath to catch the grease. Fed from a large propane tank mounted elsewhere on the trailer

sink/faucet - fed from tank of water, gravity fed, mounted high on the trailer to get some pressure to operate

small refrigerator - the kind popular in dorm rooms, very small but can keep your spoilable food good. If you think this is extraneous, then cooler or mermite only.

popup camping tent on the roof - nothing says "I'm a serious offroad camper because I need a ladder to get in my out-of-the-way tent."

genset - small, no more than 1.5KW. A Honda EU2000i comes to mind, very quiet and will run everything you need in camp. And 100-ft power cord

at least two fuel cans in mounts - suitable fuel for your genset, not your vehicle. Spare fuel for the vehicle should be mounted to the vehicle, not the trailer.

tool chest w/drawers - for when you have to repair something when you get back to camp. Should include handtools, air tools (only if your vehicle has an onboard compressor), and a few power tools (runs off genset)

ice chest/Mermite - gotta have cold drinks. Period. Paragraph.

full kitchen accessories - all the pots, utensils, towels, dishes, fire starting tools, etc.

small electric water pump - sump pump would be good, plus a 50-ft hose. For if you are near a lake and need to recharge the water tank, or take a shower

shower setup - a small shower setup to run off the water tank/pump. Also: depending on how warm or clean you need the water, a built in tankless portable water heater and an inline cartridge filter will take care of those needs.

chainsaw/lopping shears/bolt cutters/etc. - bigger tools for special purposes, as needed

jackstands - a Hi-lift jack or a bottle jack should be in your vehicle, but a couple jackstands and small pieces of 2x10s to put underneath them would be good for camp repairs under the truck instead of hoping the jack fails with you under it.

tarp and camp chairs - portable shade and relaxation

shortwave radio - a TV is too much, but having a shortwave AM/FM radio would be worthwhile to pass camp time or keep in touch with outside world

spare camping stuff - sleeping bags, mats, emergency supplies, flashlight, etc.

safety tools - good size fire extinguisher, spare cellphone or CB radio, wool blanket, flares, first aid kit of decent size, rain ponchos, road atlas, etc.

spare parts and tools for the trailer - truck should have spares and tools for the truck only. Trailer has parts for itself. Spare tire, nuts and bolts, wire for electrical hookups, light bulbs, GAA grease, etc.

That's about all I can think of now. Might add more later.

sxemike

I'll be starting a build in the next couple of weeks with a m101 and s250. I'm hoping to have it ready to go to the Fiddler's convention in Galax, Aug. 5.

So far, here's what I have planned before the Galax trip:
Full size bed or futon.
Shore power connections - wiring + circuit breakers
A/C
a couple of shelves
2" receiver hitches to mount stuff on....2 on each side and 2 or 3 on the back

I can mount my cooker on one of the receiver hitches on the side. I'll use a couple of 10x10 pop-up tents for shade. A couple of pallets in front of the door, in case it rains. On this trip, the electric hookup isn't that great so I'll use a cooler and ice. Friends that I camp with have nice RVs so I can steal their showers.
Water tanks
Generator

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about this too.

-tire changing tools, spare bulbs, etc.

-bottles/jugs of water.

-MRE's and snacks.

-sleeping bag or mattress and blankets.

-12 volt car battery and wires for charging cell phones, power inverters, lights,etc.

-bug spray, sunscreen, and hygiene items.

-clothes, towels and wash clothes.

Other items just depend on the person and the mission. These are the basics I take for weekend trips camping in the deuce.

Ditto

Mike this is what I had at Haspin last year in the M105. The only mod to the trailer so far is that I used 2x4s to build a bed across the front. Everything was packed in ammo cans or plastic totes.

You will want a ladder to get in and out.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maddawg,

I think you should start filling up your M105 trailer with this stuff and see how everything all fits in there. then maybe try it out. see what your sustainability is with all that gear. It would be interesting. :grd:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe it or not, most of what I said can fit easily into a 3/4-ton trailer, like a M101 or M116 Pioneer tool trailer, if you make efficient use of the space inside, might have to box some things together or make some custom shelves. But what I put in the list is easily doable. I've seen some guys do a lot more stuff than I suggested!

NEIOWA

Good thread ..I would like to add a first aid kit an maybe a fire extinguisher...
Essential

Fire Ext DOES NOT mount 6" from a fuel tank/engine. Mount it far enough away that you can grab it when the obvious items are burning. One per engine/fuel tank. And a spare 20lb ABC.

Get a 2-1/2gal water can (the SS bullet) work GREAT for most fires (non hydrocarbon). Stop by your local FD and have them add 8oz of Class A foam, fill with water, and pressurize with your compressor. Will put out a LOT of fire long before FD can get to you.

Local Fire Chief

Welder Sam

Here's a theoretical for you. You're building a camping trailer, one you can take to rallies and everything you need for your trip and to stay comfortable and fed should fit in this trailer. Doesn't matter what the trailer is, M101, M105, M416, civvy trailer - doesn't matter.

Question is: what would you pack along as the BII (Basic Issue Items) list for your camping trailer?

Please let's keep this serious - no "I want a jacuzzi and a 72" flatscreen in my camping trailer". If that's the case buy a Winnebago. I'm talking about a small single axle trailer that is your expedition/camp trailer, and everything needs to be for that purpose.
MADDAWG, would my little trailer be considered small enough? m-214? basics will include 2 trailer spares, fire extinguishers, 12k btu a/c, bunk full size beds, porta-pot, 100lb lp bottle, lp heat, 5kw gas generator, a small fridge, short counter top, and my RECLINER! i will be adding a fold down patio on the rear, 5'x8', with the ladder exiting to the drivers side.. i may add a water tank to the front rack which will hold at least 3 fuel cans and 3 water cans.

Attachments

Last edited:

caliber1

Believe it or not, most of what I said can fit easily into a 3/4-ton trailer, like a M101 or M116 Pioneer tool trailer, if you make efficient use of the space inside, might have to box some things together or make some custom shelves. But what I put in the list is easily doable. I've seen some guys do a lot more stuff than I suggested!
I was kidding Mike. Although, Rayzer's trailer is nice. I am re-doing my 16' enclosed trailer to camp in at the Florida rallies. Just gotta find the time.

AC/DC powered refrigerator
Closet for DW's clothes
AM/FM/CD player
110 volt shore inlet & cord
Battery charger
4D deep cycle battery
Solar panels
2 burner LP king cooker
Grill box for above
Utensils and pots and pans
Tie downs for 3 Harleys :p
Air mattress and sleeping bags
Coolers
Candles and bug candles
Port-a-pottie
Water tank
Hanging solar shower
Roof mount AC
12VDC fans
Roof vent w/fan
First aid kit
2 fire extinguishers
Paper towels & TP
Eatin utensils & plates
Spare tire (btdt X 4)
Jack & lug wrench

Just the beginning...

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Thread, Maddawg308. I am starting with a stripped, empty S-250, and am building a camper for the GA Rally. I got some good ideas from this thread. :grd:

rickf

Mike, You ain't exactly a small guy, are you planning to leave room for yourself in there?
For those who have never seen his infamous butane stove...................think campfire and stove all rolled into one. Fire extinguisher is a REAL good idea, X 2.
I think your list is very viable, couple small tweaks here and there. I guess it depends on how long you plan on needing it, how comfortable you want to be and what you have to pull it with.

Rick

vinny-socom1

We've got a 24" dvd/led flat screen in ours......

Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks