• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

opinions on m105 axle swap

Whitnel

I picked up an m105 last week. I am going to swap out the axle to one with electric brakes. I found a 7lk with springs, a 7k with the torflex set up and an 8k with springs. Which one so you think would be the best to put under the trailer? I believe I am going to have the axle shortened to make it fit right but could be wrong. I have some figuring with hub face to face and wheel offsets.

I plan to have a 14k gooseneck that will have 7k axles under it in the future so a 7k axle under the m105 would make things easier with parts and tires.

I know everyone says that the m105 is too big and only needs to be pulled behind a duce and I need to go buy a m101 but this is what I have so I plan on making it work. I am not a fan of surge brakes so I would have wanted to swap the axle on the m101 as well plus I like with width between the fenders on the m105 better. This will be pulled with a F250 with a 7.3 diesel.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Whitnel

I have heard good things about the toro flex axle but have never used one before. I found one on Ebay that is cheaper then the one with springs.

Looks like a 7k it is. I only mentioned the 8k for the strength. I searched and read where one person put a 6k on the m105 and was having problems with bending the axle after only a few uses.

armysurpguy

Share?

I picked up an m105 last week. I am going to swap out the axle to one with electric brakes. I found a 7lk with springs, a 7k with the torflex set up and an 8k with springs. Which one so you think would be the best to put under the trailer? I believe I am going to have the axle shortened to make it fit right but could be wrong. I have some figuring with hub face to face and wheel offsets.

I plan to have a 14k gooseneck that will have 7k axles under it in the future so a 7k axle under the m105 would make things easier with parts and tires.

I know everyone says that the m105 is too big and only needs to be pulled behind a duce and I need to go buy a m101 but this is what I have so I plan on making it work. I am not a fan of surge brakes so I would have wanted to swap the axle on the m101 as well plus I like with width between the fenders on the m105 better. This will be pulled with a F250 with a 7.3 diesel.

Thanks for you thoughts.
Hey, I'm about clueless about axles and swapping them out and so forth. I was wondering if you could share what axle you end up with and the model number or measurements.....like looking at the smart persons paper during the test....
Thanks

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched and read where one person put a 6k on the m105 and was having problems with bending the axle after only a few uses.
I have seen that too. What I saw was because they used the same springs and the distance from spring center to spring center is narrow and the distance from spring center to hub is quite large. A lot of leverage! I built a new frame and moved the springs out as far as I could.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks