• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max tire size on a 406?

Dano

Hey Guys,
Anyone know what size tire will fit on a stock 76 case 94 unimog? Been saving up for one and think I found a keeper. Prob gonna pick it up this or next weekend. Will be sure to post pics when I get her home. Any off road related performance tips ie springs that fit, diesel tuning etc would be appreciated. tks

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Dano,

I have one 406 with 14.5's and those work fine. You gain some road speed too. There are a couple of negatives to consider: If off roading, you'll stuff those big tires into iron and sheet metal occasionally, and might tear off the hydraulic fluid return line if you do not re-route it. Also, surplus military tires in 14.5 x 20 are high load tires, are therefore stiff walled and don't respond well to lowered pressures. They'll not conform to terrain as well as desired. Modern tires like IROKs are made in 14.5 x 20 but get really expensive.

Bob

Dano

Yea, I had heard that it wouldn't make much difference airing them down on a truck that light (comparitively). Hate to spend another 2 to 3 grand in tires right now tho being as I hocked everything but the kitchen sink to come up with the cash to get her. Thing is, I am getting it so I can offroad more/better. I love my little yota, but to get it to the point where it will perform like a mog, I am sure I will spend at least as much as the purchase price for the 406. Might just bite the bullet and get some tsl's. What did Wilma flinstone used to say? CHAAAARGE IT!

So, 42 ish in height?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I had heard that it wouldn't make much difference airing them down on a truck that light (comparitively). Hate to spend another 2 to 3 grand in tires right now tho being as I hocked everything but the kitchen sink to come up with the cash to get her. Thing is, I am getting it so I can offroad more/better. I love my little yota, but to get it to the point where it will perform like a mog, I am sure I will spend at least as much as the purchase price for the 406. Might just bite the bullet and get some tsl's. What did Wilma flinstone used to say? CHAAAARGE IT!

So, 42 ish in height?
Yep, about 42-43. You can still have a lot of fun and capability with a set of surplus 14.5 x 20 Michelin XL's for minimum $$. Sounds to me those would do it for you until you get into competition :)

Dano

Yea, just wheel for fun. exposed slate ledges, mud and hills where I live, Lots of overgrown strip mines around. Not so much hardcore rock climbing.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, just wheel for fun. exposed slate ledges, mud and hills where I live, Lots of overgrown strip mines around. Not so much hardcore rock climbing.
Oh Boy, you are going to love that 406 mog!!! It would do just fine with 12.5 tires for the purpose you intend, with none of the problems associated with larger tires.

Dano

Well, Made the trip, cash exchanged, awaiting transport. Pics in the next few days, on a borrowed computer, mine is in need of rehab lol. Love it!

Dano

That looks darn good! Mines coming along nicely, working on some minor issues, but have had it wheeling and it's awesome! Are those tires dot legal? Looks doubtful lol if they are where do I find em?

spicergear

They are DOT legal Michelin Radials. 405/70 R20 XM-47. Google XM 47 and sit down for pricing results. Michelin is REALLY proud of them. Continental makes a similar tire but the cost is still way, way up. MITAS in Europe makes an equivilent size and look tire, but I'm not sure if it's a radial or not. New these sell for over $1100 a piece...IF you can find them; I've also seen them upward of $1300 per tire. Occassionally you'll run across a deal on them for $500-$700 per tire. I got lucky with right place right time and got five of them...but still paid a very pretty penny used. They just flat work on mogs. An 8,000lb truck with all kinds of clearance, gearing, and air lockers...with a radial tractor tire?!?! HELLO...we're coming through. :mrgreen: They'll rub at full stuff or tag the mud flaps or arm for step close to full steering but that can be accounted for. They look great, work great, from everyone around...seem to wear very, very well.

Dano

1100 per! Glad you told me to sit down... Now at 500, that is what the same size swampers, rockers etc go for, or there abouts. Man they do look gnarly tho and you say they work...might be some ot in my future lol.

spicergear

Keep an eye on the Unimog Exchange or talk to a couple of the Mog places to see what they turn up. There's AG stuff available but usually they're only speed rated to 25mph -ish usually which even for a Mog is a little low. :mrgreen:

Some guys are running 395/85 R20 XML's or XL's with a cab lift but they kinda look big on the truck.

Dano

Yea, Unimog Exchange is where I found mine. Lot's of differents parts available there. Not sure I'd wanna lift the cog any more than what it is,. I'll keep my eyes open for some fer sure. My top speed is 40 at 2800 rpms per the speedo. She is screaming at going that "fast" lol

spicergear

Check your filters or run the tire size through a speed calculator like at randy's ring and pinion.com. I'm at a GPS'd 52mph wide open and cruise at 40-43mph usually.

Dano

All filters and fluids changed, didn't alter top speed, but gets there quicker, more like a turtle than a snail ha ha. The guy I bought it from said that the torque converter trannys ran a little slower due to slippage caused by the converter. 40 is actually fast enough, feels squirrley going that speed. final drive ratio is what? 7 something to one? ( for speed calculator at randys)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks