• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 (What do you think it is worth?) Pic heavy

michigan4x4

Ok.. I have a chance to buy a M416 trailer for sale locally. I am just wondering what you guys think it might be worth in it's current condition. I have always wanted a 1/4 ton trailer and this is my chance. The trailer needs work, wire brush, possible sand blasting, paint, replacement lunette, wiring harness etc..

The good:
-Floor seems solid with some questionable spots.
-Trailer is straight
-Lunette casting and part of the lunette (spring, washer and nut) are still in place
-Fenders have virtually no rust (it looks like someone undercoated the underside of them)
- Under body seems to only have minor surface rust
- Frame appears to be in good shape.

The bad:
- Lunette ring has been cut off
- Tailgate has been cut in the rear with a torch (the owner has the tailgate piece and I am sure it can be welded back in)
- There are half inch holes drilled under the lip of the tub all the way around.
- One of the handles is missing off the tub
- Parking brake is froze in the up (tow-able position)
- Wiring harness has been cut.

Let me know what you think or what a fair price might be.

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you haven't said is if the owner is asking a price at the moment.

If he's looking for offers, I'd say start at $300 and work up. NICE M416 trailers bring $800-1000 nowadays. This is not nice. It's not BAD, but it needs a lot of TLC.

michigan4x4

He is asking $400.00. I really don't have $400.00 to spend on a trailer at this point (especially one that has been cut up) but I hate to let this one pass as we all know these are getting harder and harder to find. I am trying to figure out how much $$$ I would have to dump into it to get all the rust addressed, tailgate welded back in place, new Lunette, wiring harness, paint, etc.

I can weld, not very well though. the tailgate concerns me because it was cut out with a torch so there is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap of missing metal. I dont think I could weld the gate back in without using patch panels at the seams. Plus the metal around the cut on both the tub and tailgate piece is deteriorating with rust. I think I can save the entire floor without patching.

What do you guys think? If I offer $300.00 do you think I would be getting a decent deal?

Thanks
Jeff

RodUSMC1962

I got a free m416 in fair shape with my last mighty mite and I have $800 in tires,tubes ,sand blasting,paint,tarp,bearings,seals,and tac marking.See if he will take $250 cash. If it take a couple of years to finish it that`s ok.:driver:

michigan4x4

Well I inspected the trailer again (a family friend owns it) and there are a few pin holes in the floor. If I do buy it, I am really wondering what to do with the floor and the rear panel that has been cut out. I am not sure if I should fab up a tailgate for it (since it was already cut) or try and weld the panel back in with some patch panels. I dont like tailgates on these trailers as it causes for too much side flex and ruins the rigidity of the trailer tub. But since this one has already been cut, I am thinking I should just take the panel, reinforce everything with 1x1inch square bar stock and make a tailgate.

Second, The floor ...... I do not want to replace the floor of the tub, but it is on its "last leg". There are small pin holes starting to form. Any ideas on trying to preserve it?

Still debating on whether or not I should pull the trigger on this one.

Jeff

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my take...$300 is too much. I have a very nice, straight from DRMO (back in the 90s when you could get nice ones) trailer with no mods or rust that I offered to a guy for $750. He decided he did not want to pay that much and I decided to keep it. THIS IS NOT A FOR SALE THREADvas the trailer is no longer for sale. Friends on SteelSoldiers have seen it and they can attest to its condition. So, you need to ask yourself how much you will have in your trailer when you are done. You will no doubt have to invest money and time. What will that cost you or be worth to you (with regard to your time)? Then, compare that to your potential savings in $$$ and make the decision for yourself. Good luck!

plym49

I would say 300 max. Start at 2 and maybe end at 250. The floor you can address expediently. Use POR right over the rust - this is what it is for - and throw a lose piece of plywood over the floor when you load anything nasty. Grab a lunette for 50 and the rest you can handle for pocket change.

michigan4x4

Sound advice here.. Thanks guys. I will see what I can do. If he is willing to sell it for $300 I will take it, if not, I will pass.

If I do get it, as suggested, I am going to try and save the floor. POR-15 and a do it yourself bed liner kit. strengthen up the tailgate opening with square tubing and do the same with the tailgate piece. Fab up some sort of tailgate latch and get some hinges. Then pull the tub from the frame, hit all the rust with a wire wheel, prime and spay it with a fresh coat of paint. It might not be perfect, but will be serviceable.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks