• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Markings on a Unimog 404 radio truck

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While sanding a radio box for a 404 Unimog, these two markings were found. Can anyone identify them?

Sorry for the poor pictures. There are many coats of paint so it was tough to know whether to sand more or less.

There is a red 'shield' as part of one marking. That same emblem has two crossed cannon, a large "L" at the top, and a "5" below.

The other symbol is a rectangle with a dot in the middle and the same L5 at the lower right. My first thought was that this symbol looks a little like a gun sight.

This radio box is rather unique. It was built in 1984 as an upgrade or replacement, probably. The last of these trucks was made a full 10 years before the box was manufactured. Also, the manufacturer was Zeppelin, the dirigible company.

thanks

Bob

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2012.

Tennmogger:

Best guess is that they are both German Army Unit Markings, the left one may be the standard NATO one for artillery (best guess), the second one is likely the truck's marking "L-5 Artillery"(5th Artillery-L Battery){or L Battery-5th truck}????:?: This one might even give the Great Carnac heartburn!:p
At least the German markings are a heck lot less crytic then the Swiss Army ones, as the Swiss like putting theirs on the right front passenger windsheild at the tip, usually in lack.
I'd have an easier time finding & figuring out Russian unit markings in comparison!;-)

Good Luck,

Mein Herr!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks