• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2 Project, Need Advise

BigRix

I just bought this project and could use your advise and suggestions. It's a M101a2 that is in pieces. It's mostly complete and I should probably add that I have never owned or worked on one of these before.

The main problem I'm having is whether to weld the tongue back on and reinstall the surge brakes or not. If I do, what is the best approach? Should I try to source another set of bars? Ditch the brakes and the weight like some others I've seen. About 2" of bar is missing causing a gap if the tongue is to be welded back on.

I plan to tow this with my M1009 which may or may not be getting 8 lug 4.10 3/4 ton axles in the future. I know this trailer is too heavy for this truck when fully loaded that is one reason I'm concerned about brakes

Plans are for this to be a general utility/camping trailer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342900994.087112.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342901010.870072.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342901033.213268.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342901048.918354.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342901071.947796.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I have the trailer tongue arms. I only have the driver's side, but you should be able to flip one over pretty easy.

The 101a2 with surge brakes is an awesome trail for the 1009. Looks like you got the sweet crank down landing leg too.

harleyhouse

If you have the surge pintle I would get new tongue bars.
If the pintle is missing and the brakes are trashed I would leave it off
and make a custom tongue assemble.

Nice start. I love my 101A2 great trailers.

BigRix

I do have the surge pintle but didn't remember to take a picture of it.

The parts are getting kinda spread out as I am going to be refurbishing some of them at work then going back to the sellers house to get it reassembled enough to drag it home.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
need parts

Yup, I have the trailer tongue arms. I only have the driver's side, but you should be able to flip one over pretty easy.

The 101a2 with surge brakes is an awesome trail for the 1009. Looks like you got the sweet crank down landing leg too.
Just wondering if you have or could help dirrect me to who might have the schackle bracket I need for my M101A2. You know using the trailer as a dump trailer. Hopefully pic will down load.
Thanks Bob.

Attachments

harleyhouse

If you want a dump trailer fab a whole new pivoting tongue.
The trailer tongue folds for shipping not for dumping. That shackle bracket will shear off
after several loaded dumps.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a dump trailer fab a whole new pivoting tongue.
The trailer tongue folds for shipping not for dumping. That shackle bracket will shear off
after several loaded dumps.
I get that!!!!!!!!!!!! Still need to locate the schackle brackets, any thoughts on availability???????????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks