• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......painting & mar

kenzo

Dear Listers,

With the very kind help of my good friend Jay Mallari, I have at long last managed to get together a bit of useful information which covers the US Marine Corps useage of their 4-colour camouflage schemes. Even the Corps itself was unable to supply any information about the 4-color patterns as it was "no longer operational".

Which brings me to the current 3-colour patterns.

I am desperate to get hold of any technical manuals which describe the application of the 3-colour camouflage schemes. Because, in a few more years, the USMC will be telling me (and other researchers) "Sorry, the TMs are no longer operational and have been shredded". Or something along those lines.

The TMs concerned are:-

TM (MCO) P4750-15/2 Painting equipment and registration marking of Marine Corps tactical and combat eqpt

TM 4750-OD/1A Painting and Registration Marking for Marine Corps Combat and Tactical Equipment: November 2004

TM 4750-OD/2 Camouflage Paint Patterns: November 2005

And anything from TM 4750-15/2-1 through TM 4750-15/2-10 (especially related to the m151-series MUTT)

So if anyone can help me track down the relevant manual(s) for the benefit of future researchers/restorers, in any format (paper or CD) I will really appreciate it. Please drop me a line at

muttguru@aol.com

thanks in advance...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......painting &

Hey Ken! Welcome to the site Sir, good to see you over here. Our crack team of people here uncovered the Navy manuals I needed for my Seabees truck, hopefully they will come through for you too!
Kenny

FrankUSMC

I might have one of the manuals you need. If I do, Wow, there is no way I can copy it. It is HUGE! It is about 24 inches by about 60 inches. It was at our Motor T shop back in the mid 90s, they were throwing it out and the Motor T officer remembered I collected military trucks, so he saved it for me. I will look to see what numbers are on it.
One of the few, frank USMC ret.

kenzo

Re: RE: Elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......painting &

FrankUSMC said:
I might have one of the manuals you need. If I do, Wow, there is no way I can copy it. It is HUGE! It is about 24 inches by about 60 inches. It was at our Motor T shop back in the mid 90s, they were throwing it out and the Motor T officer remembered I collected military trucks, so he saved it for me. I will look to see what numbers are on it.
One of the few, frank USMC ret.
Hello Frank,
well, I've searched the known universe for the USMC painting TM, without success up to now. And you got a copy that was being thrown out! You lucky *%^#

I appreciate that it is impossible to copy if it's so big, but I'd really appreciate knowing which TM it is (and print-date) and any information about what it contains re markings and anything about colors used, and anything referring to the M151 mutt and the M416 trailer.

In fact...anything that you can tell me about it will be really appreciated.
Thanks......

FrankUSMC

RE: Re: RE: Elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......painti

Ken
I will check this week end.
Not teasing you, but....I might have two of the manuals. I will have to check in my barn. I lost allot of manuals and stuff in one of the hurricanes that hit us. For some reason, I am thinking the Motor T officer gave me two. I will dig around on Saturday.
One of the few, Frank

kenzo

Those elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......

Hello Frank,

did you have any success finding your USMC painting TM? Just wondering.......

FrankUSMC

RE: Those elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......

Ken
Did not make it to the barn last saturday......the bride had other plans for me. Will try again tomorrow. Oh, the Bride is 50% British and she is a red head.....
One of the few, Frank

FrankUSMC

RE: Those elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......

Ken
I made it to the barn today!
I have two manuals!
One is the TM 4750-15/2-10 Dated May 1988
The other is TM 4750-15/2-4 Dated May 1987
I looked at them just for a moment, I did see they have the M151 jeep and the M416 trailer in them.
Do you want me to see what colors were used?
One of the few, Frank

kenzo

Re: RE: Those elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......

FrankUSMC said:
Ken
I made it to the barn today!
I did see they have the M151 jeep and the M416 trailer in them.
Do you want me to see what colors were used?
Frank
Wow,

yes, please Frank. Anything that describes the color combinations and shade numbers used in the patterns will be great.

thanks for looking!

papercu

Elusive US Marine Corps Tech Manuals......painting &

Is the TM as big as you remembered? If it is a standard size paper (8 1/2x 11 or close)
I have access to a copy machine.
Is one or both for sale?

FrankUSMC

Ken,
I will check tomorrow for you on the colors.
papercu
If anything...it is bigger! I will measure them tomorrow for fun. They are huge!
One of the few, Frank

kenzo

blackdog said:
I have one of the manuals too -- TM 4750-15/2-4 and it is absolutely massive.
Hello Brian and Frank,

very interesting. Brian, can you let me know which vehicles are included in 15/2-4 (does it include the M151 mutt and the M416 trailer?). And Frank, what does your manual (the 15/2-10) include?

It will help me in my search if I know how the 15/2-series of TMs are allocated to the various vehicles.

for example...is 15/2-10 for heavy trucks? Or ground equipment? Is there any kind of index in the back of the TM that explains which TM covers what Marine equipment?

And what about authorised colors?

Sorry to be such a pest but you two are the only folks I know with access to these.

kenzo

JoshC said:
I can attest that Ken has been looking for these for a while now... He is a regular over at G503.com.Welcome Ken!
Hiya Josh, good to see you over here!

thanks for the endorsement... much appreciated (-:

kenzo

Thanks, Brian.

It would seem that these USMC TMs are arranged so that one TM covers 1/4-tonners, another TM covers 1/2-tonners etc.

Frank, can you confirm that your 15/2-10 only covers "light" vehicles/trailers? thanks.

Brian & Frank...is there anything in your TMs about colors used, shade numbers, combinations of colours used etc?

Sorry to be such a pest (-:

kenzo

jag7720 said:
This thread is about a year old.... but....

I'm not sure if this contains exactly what you are looking for but you might take a look
http://brochures.slosh.com/cucv/
Hello there,
many thanks for your response. The links are indeed useful. However, the links are for Army-designated vehicles, not USMC versions. And from what I've found so far, the USMC painting TMs are restricted to "Authorized Users".........so that rules me out !!

I'll keep looking, but thanks for your reply..................

FrankUSMC

Ken
I am sorry also for dropping off here for awhile. The bride and I moved this year, the good news is, our old house sold in 30 days....the bad news is our old house sold in 30 days.
Ever try to move a vehicle collection that has had a home for 20 years to a new place? The bad part is, I did lose some items to weather. We were just throwing stuff into boxes and crates. Alot of the stuff got stored under tarps for about half a year.
When, I find the manuals, you need to make me an offer for them so they can go to a good home.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks