• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fab for grill guard winch? PIX

TacticalDoc

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500. I'm looking to add a winch to the front. The grill on the front has 2 mounts taht attach to the frame with 2 bolts on each side (see pics). The rail seems to be made of 1/4 inch steel that I dont think is strong enough.

I called someone to fabricate a plate for the front and he wants to attach a plate to the 2 mounts with 6 bolts (3 on each post). Im concerned that these posts will not be strong enough and will bend under stress. What do you think?

blybrook

Personally, I wouldn't tie it directly to the brush guard assembly. I'd get a front receiver hitch and put the winch on a removable plate. Another option is to rebuild the brush guard completely to come off a hitch assembly (much stronger IMHO).

The pictures show a side bolt and possibly a bottom bolt holding the guard to the frame. I wouldn't rely on those bolts alone for a winch due to how it's been constructed. The strength you get from the angle iron is lost with it being cut to fit around the frame and at the brush guard mounting location.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Front Mount Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com is just one location to get a hitch (amazon was cheaper when I put one on my DD). I also checked Bodiak, but they don't have one for the 1500 series. The front hitch should interface well with the truck based on the mounting options I'm seeing. You'll also gain additional mounting options for future accessories.

Good luck.

TacticalDoc

Personally, I wouldn't tie it directly to the brush guard assembly. I'd get a front receiver hitch and put the winch on a removable plate. Another option is to rebuild the brush guard completely to come off a hitch assembly (much stronger IMHO).

The pictures show a side bolt and possibly a bottom bolt holding the guard to the frame. I wouldn't rely on those bolts alone for a winch due to how it's been constructed. The strength you get from the angle iron is lost with it being cut to fit around the frame and at the brush guard mounting location.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Front Mount Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com is just one location to get a hitch (amazon was cheaper when I put one on my DD). I also checked Bodiak, but they don't have one for the 1500 series. The front hitch should interface well with the truck based on the mounting options I'm seeing. You'll also gain additional mounting options for future accessories.

Good luck.

this will attach to my frame with my grill in place?

blybrook

That sucks that it won't be high enough to keep your ground clearance. I can see it appearing to loose ground clearance when in all reality, you are loosing some approach angle clearance. The air dam is usually needing modification to accommodate the hitch, therefore, you are not really loosing clearance; just angle.

As for the winch plate being too low, it should sit even with the top of the receiver; if not a little higher. Mine flush with the top of the receiver, but the line rollers are another 2" above that level. More than adequate for my winching needs.

Sounds like you need a custom fab one similar to the bodiak hitch assemblies. Too bad they don't have one for your particular model. I've seen some really nice custom jobs for the higher models (2500 / 3500). These tend to sit between the frame rails and pop out through a hole in the bumper. Unfortunately, it appears you would have to move your 100w siren speaker to permit this style hitch.

TacticalDoc

I switched the 265 wheels to 285 and added a 2 inch leveling kit to the front. So, now the front sits about 3 inches higher. So a drop of the hitch 2 inches wouldnt be to bad. Unfortunately, there is a bar the goes across the the front and would have to be removed if I put a plate there.

I think what I'm going to do is get 2 square tubes that fit into the frame. Then drill holes into the tubes through the frame. Then make a plate/frame for a winch that will bolt into the tubes and grill.

TacticalDoc

I like the looks of that hidden hitch. it'd be similar to the custom fab you are writing about.

no it would be to low

i would make the plate with 2 metal square tubes coming out of the frame

that histh for an 1500 silverado comes out under the bumper not through it like the 2500 or 3500

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks