• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger seat comfort improvement

Rattlehead

A couple of my friends have complained about the passenger seat comfort in the past. I never spent any real time in the pass seat, but didnt think it was that bad. I usually just told them "Sorry about YOUR luck, my AIR RIDE seat is just fine!"

Anyways, while in the middle of installing some new seat canvas, I did some experimentation. The seat springs do not seem to bottom out when I just sit in it (I am about 175lb), but if I bounce even slightly on the seat, they do bottom out. Then I realized that some of my friends probably bottom them out just sitting in them. What I ended up doing was to add a piece of cardboard in between the wire woven gunnysack material(lays on top of the springs) and below the seat padding. In trying the seat out after this addition, it seems to prevent the springs from bottoming so easily.

I also replaced the original so-called "padding" that was in the seat. It was that green mesh crud that seemed to continually shed all over the floor of the truck. I got a 3 layer set of padding material (cut to fit) from Beachwood Canvas that consisted of some typical jute like is under automotive carpet, a layer of this lighter fluffy padding, and a layer of some dense fibrous mat that was probably supposed to replace the gunnysack stuff in the original seat. I put all of this on top of the cardboard, and re-used the original gunnysack material below the cardboard to keep the springs from tearing it up too quickly. Overall, much better, though I think most of the complaints were probably from the seat springs bottoming. The new padding just makes it a little better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks