• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for a tongue for a m1061 5Ton trailor

5tonpuller

I am looking for a tongue for my trailor. The boom hangs over the bed and if I put big stuff on it I have to raise the boom up to a unsafe hight. I f some one knowns where one is OR hits one of the junk yards and sees one PLEASE im me. Thanks guys !! :twisted:
Matt

Attachments

5tonpuller

5tonpuller said:
I am looking for a tongue for my trailor. The boom hangs over the bed and if I put big stuff on it I have to raise the boom up to a unsafe hight. I f some one knowns where one is OR hits one of the junk yards and sees one PLEASE im me. Thanks guys !! :twisted:
Matt
As the summer comes to a close and people been out running the hills, has anyone seen a toung for my 1061a2 trailer? I would rather find one then build one. Thanks guys.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: looking for a tongue for a m1061 5Ton trailor

Wish I could help you, but mine XM1061E1 doesn't have that option. Apparently, only the A2s have the added drawbar for the armor. I am going to a couple MV junkyards in the next few weeks. Will see if I can snoop around and find one.

AaronHorrocks

Wish I could help you, but mine XM1061E1 doesn't have that option. Apparently, only the A2s have the added drawbar for the armor. I am going to a couple MV junkyards in the next few weeks. Will see if I can snoop around and find one.
Can you post photos of your XM1061E1? I'm trying to findout just which trailer I have...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thread on what was maddawg's, and is now mine. I also have a boatload of pics of a M1061A1 also. Some slight differences, bed sides are smooth on the E1, with tarp hooks underneath. A1 has a recessed side, with hooks on the side. Also noticed some have round leveling jacks, and some are square.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=31293

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm... your axle hubs are different, the one's I've seen are flush with the lugnuts, while yours stick out past them. Wonder if you have a M1073, the 7.5 ton trailer. Also have the round leveling jacks.

Don't see a spare tire lift in the back. 2 instead of 4 lifting points on the back, and no storage for the tire chocks.

Overall size and design look similar.

Dennis

Last edited:

LanceRobson

If you read the TM for the trailer and the TBs on field mods, it was made in a hodge-podge of variants without particular benefit of model number changes. While the intent was that each model had specific features the TM makes it pretty clear that a lot of mix-n-match changes were made for specific end uses at the manufacurer, depot and unit levels.

Some were changed to heavier running gear and re-designated as M1073(?) 7-1/2 ton trailers. That seems to have been pretty common in armor units where each battalion had (has?) several 7-1/2 ton trailers for transporting "all up powerpacks" for M1 tanks.

Some had stake pockets for bows, particularly the 100 kW generator trailers, and some had squre tubular superstructures such as the laundry trailers.

The are two bed lengths (approx. 12' and 14' from memory) Versions were made with the "A" frame front end, with the extendable straight bar for tracked vehicles and with both on the same trailer. They could have had air over hydraulic brakes, surge brakes with the bar and, according to the TM, some were made with both surge and air over hydraulic on the same trailer. That last is the only version I've never seen.

The leveling jacks are "off the shelf" commercial and they appear to have installed whatever was available at the time they built the trailer.

I've seen versions that were depot built and commercially built.

About 4-5 weeks ago there was a pallet of draw bars in a GL lot. I seem to remember that it was in VA, NC or SC but could be wrong on locaton. In fact, someone posted a picture of them asking what they were. This thread has a god title. Hopefully, a SSer bought that lot and will see it.

I'll keep me eyes open but have not yet seem M1061 or M1073 bars anywhere.

Lance

AaronHorrocks

Stretch, that's the closest one I've seen yet, but no cigar. That has the spare tire latch thingie in the rear... lots of angled steel, a much longer front, and a huge block below the lunette.

My camera and all me memory cards were stolen a few weeks ago, But I'll take some more photos soon once I get all the equipment I need to take photos again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, way overkill. Too heavy and tall to be practical for that. (aprox 5000 lbs empty) Also, it has air operated brakes(air/hydraulic).

Last edited:

bimota

Just built myself a surge brake setup for my M85 Laundry with M1061E1 trailer. Used a 6x6 square tube I had laying around - roughly 5 feet long. Slid into the 6x6 front piece. Used a 1 inch pin to hold in place. Welded on a Dico 10 (Dico 20 would be better) but the 10 is good enough for the empty flatbed. Anyway, pulled the air brakes off and put in a T and new rubber brake lines to each axle and hard lines to Dico. Will let you know how it tows and brakes. Not a good idea to tow a 12000lb trailer without brakes.

Also, will be parting the washing machine stuff out - anyone wants a huge washing machine?
Will be doing a off-grid water recycling project with the M85.

5tonpuller

I tried to do a search on GL. No such luck. So close but yet so far. aua:cry:

About 4-5 weeks ago there was a pallet of draw bars in a GL lot. I seem to remember that it was in VA, NC or SC but could be wrong on locaton. In fact, someone posted a picture of them asking what they were. This thread has a god title. Hopefully, a SSer bought that lot and will see it.

I'll keep me eyes open but have not yet seem M1061 or M1073 bars anywhere.

Lance[/quote]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks