• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some state MV registration laws

ARYankee

I have been & am currently working with our legislators in Arkansas on improving the registration laws for MVs. I need some assistance from some members from surrounding states on what their laws are. I want to keep this specific with links to the actual laws or where I can find the laws. I don't want anyones interpretation because I need this data so I can present it to the powers that be so they have an idea of what is happening around us. This will also help us form our laws and show them what has already been agreed upon by state and federal officials.

I am also looking for some info on the federal safety/build specs for most of our MVs. I know this was brought up with WI, if I remember correctly. This info will be for a just in case I need it issue.

By the way, I know I can do a search but I would rather capture the info with this thread and have it be current info as well.

steelandcanvas

I don't recall MVs being addressed in the Vehicle Code Law in Colorado. However, the Club did find find an MV friendly Senator who sponsored a bill to eliminate the State's requirement to show plates on Historical MVs. We still must buy annual tags, and have the plates in possession while operating on public roads, and show them to a LEO on demand, but no display is required. I've attached a copy of the Bill, and the introduction for your perusal. I realize you're probably wanting more serious registration items to submit to your Legislators, but you possibly would want to attach this to the registration package.

Attachments

ARYankee

Thank you steelandcanvas, every little bit helps. I'm just trying to have some idea of what has been done in other states along with showing what has been done and accepted. I'm hoping to get info on MO, TN, OK, KS, AL, MS, TX, and few others.

We've got a really good looking bill in the works but it is good to have as much info to cover yourself as possible.

K9Vic

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ohio Historic Plates for MVs

Notwithstanding section 4503.21 of the Revised Code, the owner of an historical motor vehicle that was manufactured for military purposes and that is registered under this section may display the assigned registration number of the vehicle by painting the number on the front and rear of the vehicle. The number shall be painted, in accordance with the size and style specifications established for numerals and letters shown on license plates in section 4503.22 of the Revised Code, in a color that contrasts clearly with the color of the vehicle, and shall be legible and visible at all times. Upon application for registration under this section and payment of the license fee prescribed in division (B) of this section, the owner of such an historical motor vehicle shall be issued an historical vehicle license plates plate. The registration certificate and at least one such the license plate shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the public roads and highways in this state. If ownership of such a vehicle is transferred, the transferor shall surrender the historical vehicle license plates plate or transfer them it to another historical motor vehicle the transferor owns, and remove or obliterate the registration numbers painted on the vehicle.

Ohio CDL Exemptions

CDL Exemptions

The law exempts these categories from the CDL:

Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]
  • A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.

steelandcanvas

Thank you steelandcanvas, every little bit helps. We've got a really good looking bill in the works but it is good to have as much info to cover yourself as possible.
You certainly don't want to go back and ask for more changes. Get it right the first time, include everything you want up front. [thumbzup]

M923driver

Something that may assist in your efforts would be to get the specifics covering RV's in your state. Rear engine diesel motorhomes will usually be of similar size and weight and also have air brakes. They are exempt from CDL requirements in all states as far as I know. It could be (HA!) as simple as ammending those regs to include MV's not used in commerce as well. At least pointing out that vehicles of similar size and equipment are already exempt couldn't hurt.

ARYankee

I recall when I helped the other Club Officers with our Bill, it was educational, but not pleasurable.
I agree with that 1,000%. Just in the last couple of days, I have learned a lot about how this works and the effects of change. Part of me has actually enjoyed taking this on.

ARYankee

I have got some good information. Thank you. At the moment the draft has been passed along to the respective agencies that will be affected for their comments. Hopefully there won't be too many issues, but if there are we will address them. Keep the info coming because every little bit helps. The more we show what other states are doing, helps our cause out.

Welder Sam

Recently had a friend ask me what happened with this because when an attempt was made to tag a duece with antique tags the office worker said that there had recently been some changes made and now they wont do antique tags for anything over a 1 ton

ARYankee

Recently had a friend ask me what happened with this because when an attempt was made to tag a duece with antique tags the office worker said that there had recently been some changes made and now they wont do antique tags for anything over a 1 ton

No changes were made. Changes were in the works on a really great bill that was supported by the MVPA, and other car clubs but of course the DFA made a claim that they would lose revenue. Due to their BS claim we didn't go any further with it because with the newbie legislators, they were going to shoot it down. Under some guidance from the legislator I was working with we didn't want to pursue it any further until we could work with the DFA a bit more to ease their concerns.

Once again that person was fed a line about registering, that is why I suggest folks look up the law, print it out, and have their local office contact Little Rock. If that doesn't work deal directly with the Little Rock office.

Welder Sam

That would be a fair assumption had this person, and another, not previously registered the same vehicle type and heavier in the same manner at the same location.

Are you personally positive that theres been no changes made since the boat was rocked?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks