• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

El Paso/Las Cruces/Almogordo, Try city Area...Check Here

daniel17319

Looking for people in this Area maybe in Juarez too who know:grin: Maybe we can get a little club started together, or do some meet-ups.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings !
Our Base LZ is San Angelo, TX, but our alternate FOB is just north of Alamogordo (Alamorosa-ish) and we visit often.... In fact, I'm sitting at my Mother-in Law's dining table there/here as I type this.

I'd be interested to participating on a "transient" basis when I'm in the area.

There have been some other threads by others in your defined area as well. I'd suggest a few searches for the keywords "Alamogordo", "Las Cruces", etc.

Best regards,
John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just in Cloudcroft in the M109 . Plan to go back. Very nice area.

Rodger
Placitas (Interstate 25 exit 242)
Roger that, Rodger!
Did you travel the STEEP GRADE between Cloudcroft and Alamogordo with your M109? Up and/or down? How did the Deuce handle it?
I've often wondered about that in the event I ever do a recovery from Holloman AFB and need to take the "short route" back to San Angelo, TX.
Thanks..
John

Rodger

Hello John

Before telling you about the ride from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, I have to tell you that I do not know when the fuse to my fuel pump blew. The truck kept running. It may have blown before leaving home.
We took Interstate 25 from exit 242 to route 380. On this segment the truck ran hotter than I like.
I know a lean gasoline-air mixture causes a car to run hot. Will the same happen in a multifuel on diesel? If so, it may have been the fuel pump.
From Almagordo to Cloudcroft I was able to do a steady 20 miles per hour up the hill. I pulled over a lot to allow cars to pass. Again this could be the fuel pump.
I think a recovery from Holloman would be faster and safer on interstates. There are limited pull over places on "the short route".
We plan to go back next summer and with a working fuel pump, I hope to go faster (although not fast enough for the cars behind me.)

Coming down the hill, I kept it in a lower gear (forgot which) and pumped the brakes on the straight parts of the road. I also kept in mind the distances to the two truck pull outs for failed brakes.

The truck did well, until dying in my driveway. Probably due to a reduced fuel height in the tank. the last eight miles were slow.

Rodger

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rodger,
Thanks for the roadtrip report. I've often thought aobut he Deuces "antique" brakes and the porspect of using the RUNAWY TRUCK RAMPS. Wonder just what kind of wild ride it would be since there are only two opportunities in that whole 14 mile downgrade.

As for your sluggish performance... As I understand the fuel system, the in-tank pump has little to do with performance, but is for recirculating and "mixing" separated fuel - overcoming the multi-fuel variances that can "layer" in the tank.
In your case, I would first check/change fuel filters, and be sure the Air Filter is clean and free-flowing.
Beyond that, follow the TM's - basically "go by the book" and you're sure to diagnose and fix what's ailing your engine.

Look forward to meeting all y'all New Mexico (and far west Texas) SSers.

I'm headed back to Texas this afternoon......

John

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in El Paso. I will be recovering my first MV this week from Hood. It will more than likely be a while before I can meet-n-greet driving a deuce but I have plenty of other rides in the mean time.

As for those runaway ramps, I would think it would be a better ride (slightly) in a duece than in a loaded 18 wheeler. Those ramps are not what I would call smooth. I have always considered those more designed to get the runaway truck away from the other travelers on the road than to safely stop a truck. At least the off-road cpabilities of the deuce should help there some.

Vick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in El Paso. I will be recovering my first MV this week from Hood. It will more than likely be a while before I can meet-n-greet driving a deuce but I have plenty of other rides in the mean time.

As for those runaway ramps, I would think it would be a better ride (slightly) in a duece than in a loaded 18 wheeler. Those ramps are not what I would call smooth. I have always considered those more designed to get the runaway truck away from the other travelers on the road than to safely stop a truck. At least the off-road cpabilities of the deuce should help there some.

Vick
Congrats on the "new" MV - what did you win?
(edit: oops - I was just reminded, you got a deuce, huh? LOL - I had a blonde moment.)

Those Runaway Truck Ramps are NOT meant to be a smooth ride. They are soft-surfaced so that the wheels of a heavy vehicle will bog down, increasing drag and disipating as much energy as quicly as possible - even to the point of draggin the fame for "ultimate drag". This can be compared to being an "out of control" downhill racer and bringing it to a quick and relatively safe stop. Typically, the vehicles using those ramps will need a Recovery Vehicle's assistance to complete their downhill trek anyway, so a little undercarriage repair is considered better than a totaled vehicle(s) and injury or death due to collision(s). This is one instance where off-road capability might work against a successful stopping effort. You might just find yourself overshooting the end of the ramp and beginning the sequel to the downhill race you just tried to thwart.

Hmmmm - Can you say TRUCK SKI-JUMP ? ! ? ! ?

LOL

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a deuce.

I get the soft-stuff theory. It's more the fact that there are considerable ruts and grooves that could put a truck on its side. That would be more involved than some undercarriage repair. The runaway ramps off of TransMountain road here in EP are kept pretty smoothly graded in comparison.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The duece was recovered from Hood successfully and is now in my yard. Any leads on deuce parts in EP would be greatly appreciated, Rodger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks