• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using ATF as a fuel?

Pumbi

I am a super newbie to SS and this is my first post (so bare with me). I just got my first MV, a 1969 M35a2 multifuel from GL.Its the coolest thing ever invented!! My question is what to feed it. I have close family that owns a transmission shop and I have access to hundreds of gallons of used ATF on a continuous basis. Is ATF a suitable fuel alternative? should i mix it with something, could I run straight ATF, will running ATF ruin or hurt my engine. What is the meaning of life? Thanks.

devilman96

You can run ATF in any diesel by having the injectors recalibrated, I've seen gen sets that are using ATF exclusively on this type of set up... With a deuce messing with the injectors is not needed due to the IP's compensator however I personally would not run straight ATF as it could/can/will cause problems with coaking of the injectors. I would however run it mixed with on or off road diesel with no hesitation.

Most guys are doing this with used motor oil but ATF should burn cleaner as it is a lighter oil... It needs to be well filtered which is a subject debate in itself on the site. I personally used a modified spin on filter set up and 12V low volume pump with a nominal 8 micron filter to do this. Its not a fast deal but will do 55 gallons in about an hour or so.

As for mix rate... I would start off with something like 60% diesel to 40% ATF and go from there... Just keep in mind as your playing with it that you really need the diesel additives to keep the injectors clean.

I am sure someone else can offer up some more information... please keep us updated on your progress, ideas, etc... and oh yeah... Welcome to SS!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that bothers me about used ATF is it's usally very dirty. And what i mean by that is alot of auto tranny's have asbestos linings on the clutch plates. Asbestos is abrasive and can destory machined parts. Unless you can get rid of it, i wouldn't put it in there. Metals in the fluid can be filtered out. But the asbestos will just about dislove in it. If you got a centrafuge or built a still when you could distill it you would be ok. If you can get the oil back to a pinkish state you would be fine. Each batch of atf will probally be different. So try different ways of setteling/filtering it before you just dump it in the tank. And then start out with small amounts. Then add more as you know the engine still runns smoothly. And make sure your FDC is hooked up.

gbooth

Ok with the New Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel that you now get at the station would it hurt to run a quart of new ATF as a lube for the injector pump or what would be a good alternative also my fuel density compensator is by passed and I have no plans to hook it back up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not get some 10W oil or add some veggie oil, I'd be concerned about the pinkish color...hefty fine for driving on the highways with off-road diesel (pinkish color).

Westech

CPL
I run 75% ATF in my Deuce. The only thing is that the fuel filters are shot in about 3k miles. I get the filters for 15 bucks for all 3 so its still a huge cost savings. I have had no other problems using the ATF, the truck does smoke a bit and it smells a little bad but all good.

Pumbi

Thanks guys. I think I will start with a 60 diesel/40 atf mix and maybe add a quart of that diesel additive (centane booster) to help out. If you figure 2.69 per gallon of fuel plus 6 bucks for the additive. I'm sitting at 1.73 per gallon for a full tank...that's not to bad, then maybe increase it to 50/50 mix with additive to get 1.47 per.....even better. Thanks for all the useful info. I'm sure you guys will hear a lot from me in the near future, as i just got my Deuce home and am now starting to tinker with it.

Pumbi

Just an after thought.......Is there a TM manual or just a decent list of the types of fuels that is acceptable to run in my multifuel. I have talked to guys who said they ran corn oil,gas, whiskey, kerosene, alcohol, jet fuel, used motor oil and ATF, just to name a few. However I wonder what would actually work without damaging the motor. For example : it was suggested that I use a 50/50 mix or up to 75% of ATF/ Diesel. what about gas and used oil or gas and atf. I am looking at this in a two prong approach. 1) what is practical and saves money of fuel cost due to the veh's low mpg and 2) if there ever was a major disaster or severe fuel shortage and fuel was in very short supply, it would be nice to know what I can run in my beast to keep it going. We should try to come up with comprehensive list of all the different stuff that people have actually ran in their multifuels with positive results. Maybe have three categories, 1) stuff you would run everyday, 2) stuff you would only run in an emergency but will still work ok and not permanently damage your engine, and 3) stuff for real emergency's that will work but might cause damage if it was used for too long. Just an idea, Thanks

rgregj

My deuce has been running exclusively on sumped Jet A and 100 Low lead avgas for the past 6 months. Now, I've only gone through three tankfuls, but it starts great and only smokes slightly. I have added a quart of MMO to the fuel a time or two. Spoke with an old airforce mechanic and he said the jet fuel will really clean out the fuel system, but warned to use some type of additive (MMO) to help lube the injector pump. Hope that helps.

Greg

rgregj

I guess I never really thought about the color change... But, with only a quart per 50 gallons, would there be much of a color change at all? Still new to the multifuel, so I'm open to ideas. I was also told by the local parts store guy that Seafoam was a good additive. Haven't read the bottle yet to see what it is suppose to do. I guess I could alway dump a quart of oil in the fuel tank.

Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks