• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large Towbar?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run up on a large towbar(300lbs/10 feet long) are both legs of the tow bar completely straight? This one has a slight bend about half way down the leg, is it damaged or is it built this way. The bend is in the non-lunnette leg.
Thanks,
James G.

M1075

I've got one with a slight bend in it too. Due to its size, I wouldn't expect it to impact its performance any.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the going price on one of these really large towbars? I got a medium towbar from this same place for $75 without attachments.
James G.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i paid 50 for my 300#tb from heII, you dont want to ask what i have in the medium after i got all the adaptors, clamps ,ect. (when i let my m52 go it had a medium tb with all the attachments on it and i only paid 100 for everything, thay were the good days).all the legs should be staright

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy, can you guys help me out? Where can I get a medium tow bar for only $75 to $150? The only one I've found around me the guy wants like $500 for it!
Rumplecat, does that place have any more medium bars? I need one BAD. Tired of $200 tows.

1971 AM General M35a2
1973 Chevy/Bluebird School bus
"Poverty is the best preservation for old machinery"

M1075

Keep checking GL and GSA. I have seen some on each site recently. BTW, how many $200 tows does it take to pay for a $500 towbar? If that includes the adapters, it probably isn't that bad of a deal, especially if no shipping charges are involved. Good luck, they are handy.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found mine by stopping at any junk yard that has a mv, they sometimes have a lot of other military stuff laying around. Just keep looking, you can never tell what may show up for near nothing.
James G.

papercu

200 for a wrecker tow is not bad AND they have the insurance in case a building or something jumps in front of you. :D
I like doing most things myself, but towing a 13,000 truck is not one of them.
Wayne

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, your right, after 3 tows it does make sense to buy the $500 tow bar.
I towed my 1973 18,000# bus with my Dodge 2500 diesel- not far and not fast.

I just hate spending that much for one if there is one cheaper. Yes, I get the building joke from my Dad and wife all the time now, might as well get it here too. :wink:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know of a MV junk yard close to Hampton Roads VA or Columbia SC? I would like to go shopping.
The local pick-N-pull knows me by name. I build so much oddball stuff I just go get parts and then build the machine around the parts I find. So I'm great at scavaging. The old destroyer I was on would have never stayed afloat if we hadn't been really good thei...er
"part procurers"

papercu

You wrote "18,000# bus with my Dodge 2500 diesel- not far and not fast"

Uh-oh. Kenney I think that outdoes you!! Do I smell a contest comming on. Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Wayne, it sure does! Most I've done with the pickup is the 13,000# deuce but I was able to do 60 MPH. Did 70 with the lighter M275 on the way back from Philly.

EZFEED

RE: Towing

Just pulled my Deuce back from the DRMO with a pickup. I borrowed McInfantry's towbar and used a dually and it wasn't too bad really. Just go slow and keep it under 60mph on the straightaways.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Towing

What makes my tows unusual is I have a 94 Chevy with the 6.5 diesel. Most of the naysayers point out that the 6.2 and 6.5 family can't do this. I'm obvious proof that it can be done with a stock 6.5. I drug the M275 along with an extra front and rear axle from Philly to S Fla. Also brought 2 (not at the same time) M35A2s from Wayne Harris place in Baxley GA and one M35A2 minus engine from DSCC Columbus OH to S Fla. I'm a glutton for punishment but hey, I like it. Now, ask me if I've ever towed a deuce with a deuce?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Towing

Yeah, its broken now. Needs an injection pump for the next 200,000 but its on the back burner right now. IP just worn out, the truck has never stranded me or ever had a problem on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks