• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Convoy 2007

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know when the ECC website is going to be updated? Almost 3 months away and getting closer every day. Just getting worried... :(

gasser

Mike and I ... ok, mostly Mike, is working on it. Base deadline from Cabell is Feb 14th. You will definitely hear from us before or on that date.

-graham

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, who is going from Georiga/SC/NC?

I know here in Ga., I am going (with Deuce), Ron is taking the M819 and RDm is taking his Deuce.....who else?

I am trying to decide if we should go up I-85 To Doswell, Va., or take I-20 to Columbia to pick up South Carolinians, then head out to I-95 and turn North.

Add's approximately 80 miles to go through SC, if leaving from Athens, Ga (30666).

devilman96

Im heading out from S FL Monday night and lolly gagging after picking my dad up in Orlando till Kenny catches up with me... There is a good chance I will be picking up a Pinz for a tail in Jax if Chuckles is going... I may wait in Jax for Kenny or I may go ahead and push up to the Atlanta area and wait there... Kinda up to him and when he is leaving his place.

I figured I'd make the trip up a slow one since the trip back is going to be a hard push for me to get 1100 miles back south by Tuesday AM... Having a job sucks lol!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if this all works out, we are going to have about 8 or 9 vehicles just in the south, south convoy, that alone will be a nice looking military movement, we all need a SS unit designator, that will really make us a single unit movement instead just a bunch of military trucks

CGarbee

I'm hoping that all of you will be in the East Coast Convoy...
I've asked Kenny to be our Southern Serial (Yellow) Commander (he will be responsible for organizing the movement of folks in the convoy from Florida up to Aberdeen. I'll be asking for volunteers to do the same for the two Northern Serials...
Kenny needs some March Unit Commanders to help him out with the local groups that will be joining the convoy as it moves up the coast (I've asked some of the guys in NC and VA to perform these duties since they have done it in the past) and he and I have talked about the GA position, but we have not filled it yet (unless he has and I am behind the loop here...).

Bassic schedule and routes right now look to be the same as last year, although we will be tweaking things as people get registered and we learn where folks are and what the routing needs to be.

I'm looking to fill all the positions in the Northern Serials (Red an Blue Serial Commanders, March Commanders, etc..).

We pretty much have a t-shirt design although there is still time to submit one if you have an idea (I like ones that are "helpful/useful" such as the Towbar TM, Last Minute Walk Around, How to Jump Start, etc. shirts we have used in the past.

Wearing you East Coast Convoy t-shirt on Friday night will get you fed at my location. I'm cooking a hog for all my convoy buddies... (Eastern NC style).

I've was waiting on the website before I made any big anouncements as I wanted folks to be able to go to the site for info, but since you all seem to be getting excited, here you are.

Got questions, comments, suggestions?? Let me know.

Thanks,
Cabell Garbee
Convoy Coordinator/Convoy Commander, 2007 East Coast Convoy

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, after having looked at the maps and carefully reading each thread (Aberdeen 2007) and this thread (ECC 2007) it is my humble opinion that for us Ga. fellas, the route up I-85 is preferable. It knocks 80+ miles off the trip, saving a minimum of $25 in fuel and probably 2 hours of drive time. The downside is that we lose meeting up with the Columbia, SC. guys...

Now the issue is that we need to be in Doswell, Va. by Wednesday 9-May.

Do we want to try to make Doswell in one day? If so, I suspect we're looking at something crazy like 14 hours of drive time from exit 129 or so on I-85.

If we are meeting all the NC guys in Greensboro, NC, as Cabel said, then should we shoot for Greensboro and stay overnight? The issue there is the meetup time with the NC guys.

Opinions?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2007

devilman96 said:
... I may wait in Jax for Kenny or I may go ahead and push up to the Atlanta area and wait there... Kinda up to him and when he is leaving his place....
Mike, isn't Atlanta way out of your way?

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2007

I think he is gonna Zig-Zag with the convoy.... so he doesnt get bored! Maybe do circles around it?

You really think he will be able to handle driving that slow?

rofl

CGarbee

Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2007

clinto said:
If we are meeting all the NC guys in Greensboro, NC, as Cabel said, then should we shoot for Greensboro and stay overnight? The issue there is the meetup time with the NC guys.

Opinions?
Clinto,
Currently, based on previous years...
Brandon and the guys in Western, NC will be running down I40 and will intersect I85 in Greensboro (and can hook up with those comming up I85 from Charlotte and points south) at one of the truck stops, eateries, or the rest area, just east of Greensboro.
I will be running up with the guys from Central NC to Henderson, NC and will be joining the group on I85 at the Chex Truck Stop in Henderson. In past years, we have had this meeting at 4:45 PM on Wednesday and have then driven up to Doswell (get there in time for a late supper at the Denny's located at the Kings Court Best Western).

Graham made the ride up from Atlanta last year in his blazer and got to the Chex early (I know that he was running faster than a M35 likes to run though...).

Not sure of the exact time that Brandon plans to be in Greensboro, and we can adjust the time for meeting in Henderson, but I just wanted to remind you that we have multiple connections in NC that we have to coordinate...

AMGeneral

Ok,gonna interject my 2cents here,in past years I have left Hickory,NC as late as 1 pm and been able to meet Cabell at 5pm at the Chex truck stop,Exit 220,Norlina NC.Greensboro is about a 2 1/2 hr run with the 816.Not sure how I'm gonna do this as I'll be toting 2 trailers(CCattlett's M200A1).So if all goes as planned I should be in Greensboro around 2:30pm.

Looks like it's gonna be just me coming from WNC.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought you were bringing the GOER this year AMG! :D

I figure I'll meet up with y'all at Doswell in time for dinner or maybe catch the convoy at Petersburg or something. All of it really depends on how much time and money I'll have to spend on the 923 between now and then!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I have been looking at maps and reading and re-reading the Aberdeen and ECC (East Coast Convoy) threads for a couple of days now and am ready for my suggestion:

Departure from Flying J truck stop at I-85 exit 147 (zip code 30549). We need to meet Brandon at 1430 hours in Greensboro, NC, which is 282 miles North of our starting position. Using an estimate of 40 mph average, we need 7 hours to cover that distance. That gives us a departure time of 0700. So we meet at this location at 0630, use restrooms, check vehicles, make plans, etc., as necessary for .5 hours, then run. :driver:

Once we have made Greensboro and picked up the NC contingent, we are again going to head North, following the NC guys to Henderson, NC. This will be another 92 miles. In Henderson, we will pick up Garbee and other SC/Eastern NC guys. Using a 40 mph esitmate, that puts us in Henderson at roughly 1730.

The last leg will be from Henderson to Doswell, VA (138 miles), where we will have a late dinner at Denny's and an overnight stay. The following morning, we will again head out and run to Aberdeen.

Now, all you Ga. and SC. boys need to chime in here. I don't really wanna do 500+ miles in one day, but I also don't want the Southern portion to be a 3 day affair, either. That introduces all sorts of logistics issues like lodging, sanitation, etc., into the fray and additonal costs (potentially-hotel, etc.).

So if someone has suggestions, I'll take 'em! :D

Also, this plans assumes no major issues, like breakdowns..........

Let's hear it! Comments?

Blythewoodjoe

If I can pull off going, I assume you guys will be taking I-85 all the way to Petersburge? I can see two choices for myself and others in the SC area. We could meet you guys in Charlotte NC or we can go I-20 to I-95 and meet everybody in Petersburge or somewhere between there and Doswell. If anybody like Kenny is going the I-95 route it might be good of some of us to tag along instead of meeting you guys in Charlotte. It is about the same distance for me either way but anybody east of me would be better off going the I-95 way.

I'm flexible at this point but I agree an early start on Wednesday is a lot less trouble than a 3 day trip.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC

AMGeneral

OK Clinto,got our meeting point since ya'll are coming up 85,TA truck stop,Exit 138 I85/I40.Or there is a Rest Area right after that(exit 140).I ran it today(to deliever the 416 I sold)and figuring a 50 mph speed it will take me 2 1/2 hrs from the house.Let me know what you think.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe and concerned! I'm going to go for an early start Tuesday and run the 95 corridor. I considered runnning up to Atlanta but that will add a couple of hundred miles to and already long and costly ride.I'd love to make Florence SC on the first day but last time I settled for Hardeeville. I don't think the 5 year old is coming so that means I can get in a longer day. On Wednesday I'll make Doswell. Rather have my 600 mile day on day one! Also not sure what devilmans plans are. He can run circles arouund me so I don't know how that will work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks