• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter biodiesel and WVO use - what works for you?

Adamlee

I wanted to get some feedback about the successes people have had with fuel choices other than straight diesel in cold weather.

Also, Bjorn, how do you alter your fuel blend in the winter? How much do you use your straight veggie tank (heated) in winter?

If people are running bio blends and veggie oils, and your vehicle has been sitting in the cold for some time, what process do you go through to "wake them up" and get the fuel flowing?

Enjoy the weather! :)

Adam

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, with a two-tank (one heated) system the weather is not a factor.
I start and stop on regular diesel, perhaps with kerosene mixed in. After 15-20 minutes, the second tank, which contains biodiesel/veggie oil is warmed to room temp and I simply switch over to that tank.
Before shutting down, I switch over to the tank with regular diesel so that all filters and the IP end up with diesel only.

Currently, I'm not using the deuce much, I have way to much maintenance work to do, which IS weather related.
I have also started to work on the 8x8, which will feature a heated primary filter as well.

Attachments

ShepherdAndrea

Diesel Heater Questions

My husband and I bought a military diesel heater to heat our approx. 5600 sqft home to cut down on heating costs as we have 5 children and he has been laid off work.

The thing us using a gallon an hour -- is this normal. What can we do to make it more effiicient. Also, the bell keeps going off periodically even when it still has fuel and the heater won't run, only the blower.

Can someone help? It's supposed to be bitter cold for the next couple weeks and we can't afford $60 a day to heat.

Thanks in advance for any help.
ShepherdAndrea, in Dewy Rose, GA USA

Katahdin

Sorry, I don't know anything about military diesel heaters, but diesel is road taxed fuel. Use #2 Home Heating Oil if you can get it from a fuel dealer in Georgia, its the same thing but cheaper.

My husband and I bought a military diesel heater to heat our approx. 5600 sqft home to cut down on heating costs as we have 5 children and he has been laid off work.

The thing us using a gallon an hour -- is this normal. What can we do to make it more effiicient. Also, the bell keeps going off periodically even when it still has fuel and the heater won't run, only the blower.

Can someone help? It's supposed to be bitter cold for the next couple weeks and we can't afford $60 a day to heat.

Thanks in advance for any help.
ShepherdAndrea, in Dewy Rose, GA USA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks