• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Footman Loop?

I am the new owner of an M-274 A5 Mule - Baifield Industries serial number 10588 with a USMC registration number of 324882. Delivery date was 4 - 1968.

It is mostly original with the exception of added electric start and I am trying to restore it even further.

I am looking through TM 9-2320-246-34, page B-4 and find items #8, Footman Loop (7697591) and #9, Strap Assembly (11592016) shown mounted to the Engine Guard Assembly. I cannot find any reference to these items in the other TMs, although I must confess I haven't read them from cover to cover.

What is this strap used for?

I need more information (tow bars, hour meters, and retaining clips), but those can wait for another topic.

I did not do a search for any specific item in this forum, because quite honestly, I have read every topic in the forum. :)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's for the 106 Recoliless rifle mule. Post up some pics.

Do you have electric start or an alternator?

What are your other questions?

Last edited:
It has been converted to an electric start and I think they did a pretty good job - switch locations, battery location, etc. It does not have an alternator - just put the battery on a charger every now and again - not a big problem and I think I like it better than an alternator. It meets my purposes (parades, displays, etc).

It is missing the tow bar and I need to find one. It appears there are a few mounting parts for the tow bar that were removed, when the battery was installed. Probably some parts for the foot basket stowage also. I will have to move the battery to get these parts installed and usable. I have been researching some ideas on this (lawnmower type battery back by the hour meter seems like the best). I also need the publication stowage bag and wrench. You know how it is when you get a new toy? You have to have ALL of the accessories!

The wires on the hour meter have been cut. I suspect it was an emergency procedure to get the darn thing running again. There is rust inside the meter. It only has 51 hours on it - the meter that is. Anyway, a new meter is on the list. Tough to find one with the 4 VDC input requirement.

I have been collecting U.S. military equipment for a long time. This is my first vehicle - not sure how I will get it in the gun vault. Anyway, it seems that the Mules are one of the few things that once belonged to the military that everyone is comfortable with modifying to suit their purposes - after market this and that, convience items (like electric start), etc. Me? I just want it to be as close as I can get it to look like it was, when Uncle Sam got it. I will probably keep the electric start. I am not stupid, but perhaps a little lazy.:wink:

Not the best back ground for photos. I will see what I can do.

BryanMichenfelder

I have been looking for the lug wrenches too, (I got a tow bar from a really good guy),
and Will also be looking at a new document pouch, would love to see picks of the starter
and switches installation, the meters have been a source of problems for some,
mine was just removed, and I keep track of my hours in a log book anyway.
If you need I can get you photos of the tow bar mounts. Welcome to being a
Mule driver! (Muleteer or whatever), I know I can't stop smiling when driving mine.:mrgreen:

Lug Wrenches can be found that are pretty good reproductions for around $50
is yours a full size battery or a smaller one, if you put a solar panel in a tree or on-top
of your tent you can keep your battery topped up too!

have fun with your new to you mule!

oh and a pic where it shows the footman loop, I think I have one here somewhere,
let me see if I can find and attach it for you. (It is in the lower right of the picture).

Attachments

Just returned from taking some photos. Give me a minute (or 30) and I will get them posted.

There is another site - not sure where, but I am sure it is in my bookmarks - that showed how one guy had welded a socket to a piece of round stock and then turned it down on his lathe. It looked pretty good to me, but then I don't know exactly what the original ones looked like anyway. I don't have a welder, but I do have a lathe. I can buy a socket. It might be the easy way out, if I can't find an original one.

Would you PM me the address (and maybe price?) of your tow bar source?

I will post the photos to my photobucket account. If you need additional photos, just let me know. The battery is full size, but I may change it out to a smaller one. When you see the photos, you will know why.

My Mule lives in a garage, when it is not in a parade or on display. No problem plugging a charger into the wall. I haven't done "tents" since my Army days - except once a year on a camp out with the wife. :lol:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a repro document pouch, try www.odcloth.com I have all their canvas on my mule (2 seats worth) and its good stuff. If you want to get really fancy, get one of their Mule Armament pouches, put it behind the seat. I put a "fat .50" SAW ammo can in it minus the top, it works great as place to store little stuff. Secure it with the strap. and your golden!

The plate under the deck between the tires?

It covers the battery. They did a good job (I think) installing the starter and battery. I am considering moving the battery to another location by the hour meter and replacing it with a smaller "motorcycle" type battery. This would allow me to remove the plate and stow the foot basket in its intended location - not that I need to ever stow it, but hey, why not?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks