• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATTENTION: [IMG] tags

mangus580

PLEASE do NOT use the tags for posting images. I have a few reasons:

-some image hosting sites are blocked by some peoples provider (usually work/school)
-they may load slower than SS!!!
-They may be larger in size than the format we prefer here
-We will always have them here regardless of other sites dropping off
-We still get 'nailed' on the bandwidth!!! it DOESNT save us any

I hope this is not too much to ask....

Elwenil

Is there not a way to disable just the image tags? I know some forum software will let you disable all the BB Code and some will let you pick and choose which codes to block. Might be easier just to take out the IMG tags if possible. Just a thought.

Elwenil

Basically, the tags you use to post pics from other sites using it's URL address from the site it is hosted on. For more info, click on the "Post Reply" button and look down to the left for a message that says HTML Code On, BB Code On, and Smilies On. Click on the "BB Code" link and it will tell you all about it. Or just Google BB Code. It's basically just commands for the forum software that tells it what to do with a given piece of text. To use it as a URL, to post a pic, bold text, quote it, etc. Typically shown in brackets like this: [] [/] .

Hope that helps some.

mangus580

E, I have looked high and low trying to turn just that feature off. I have not been able to find it. You will notice, its not part of the buttons above the post/reply box. I removed it from there a while ago.

My only choice is to leave it alone, and just plead to the masses, or turn BBcode totally off, which will disable the other features as well.

Elwenil

Eh, just omitting the button should keep most users from importing the images. Only those of us with prior BB Code knowledge and experience will type the codes and should understand why you are wanting to keep the images uploaded.

Did the template mod Kronos suggested on the Postnuke forum not work either?

amanco

I think the best reason not to use the BB img code is so that the images won't go away if some one's image hosting goes away or they delete the images say two years from now. Any images uploaded to the SS server are going to always be there. Much more reliable.
But just out of curiosity, how is using my own image hosting costing you bandwidth? I would have guessed the bandwidth use would be on my side, not SS.

mangus580

Re: RE: ATTENTION: [IMG] tags

amanco said:
I think the best reason not to use the BB img code is so that the images won't go away if some one's image hosting goes away or they delete the images say two years from now. Any images uploaded to the SS server are going to always be there. Much more reliable.
But just out of curiosity, how is using my own image hosting costing you bandwidth? I would have guessed the bandwidth use would be on my side, not SS.
It uses both. What happens, if its embedded into the SS page, it has to travel through the SS server to get put there. (this is what I have been told by multiple sources)

I think I have my fix... my only concern is, any images that are currently listed in that manner, will now longer appear. Granted, the link will still be there....

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: ATTENTION: [IMG] tags

Got it!

Here is what I did... anytime the BBcode is used for an image now (and on any previous ones) it will appear as a link. This at least allows the previous ones to still exist. Please Please, just upload as an attachment.

Elwenil

Sweet! Glad you got that figured out. So basically it just ignores the IMG tag and the URL address is just posted like any other link? That's a pretty good solution really.

mangus580

Well, I mod'd his solution to make it work in that manner, but yeah, thats what it does :)

This doesnt help on the bandwidth end of it, but it should deter its use.

sermis

OK How do I post PIC's in a post. Do you have some simple instructions. I noticed that the pic's I posted only show a link.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand your concern about stuff "disappearing". (I see a lot of stuff has disappeared here over the years moving from phpBB to vB) But to those of us with mobile smart phones, this is a real hindrance. I have everything of mine hosted on photobucket. I tend to repost a lot of my stuff to the various other forums I'm a member or staff of. My "camera" [iPhone] has an app that allows me to directly upload my images to photobucket. It's so much simpler and easier to post my images that way. (Heck I can't even remember the last time I used our digital camera) Being in IT myself for the past decade, I can't say I won't loose images. But in the 6 or so years I've had my photobucket account, I've never lost or even deleted anything I've posted. (Knowing that it'd case a dead link for people.) To make my images display here I'd have to physically connect my phone to a PC (or email them to myself), download the pics, resize the pics, then upload the pics to the site. (something I'm not going to bother with) Instead of simply launching an app on my phone, upload the pics, then copy and paste them into my posts here.

I realize the concerns, but given the date of this decision for the site, could we re-consider it to keep up with the times?

91W350

I just use facebook for my cell images. Then when I want to post them here, I go right click and save the facebook image to my computer and upload it with the manage attachments button. Nice and simple! Plus if my computer or phone crashes, I still have the free backup. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just use facebook for my cell images. Then when I want to post them here, I go right click and save the facebook image to my computer and upload it with the manage attachments button. Nice and simple! Plus if my computer or phone crashes, I still have the free backup. Glen
I've got a facebook page, but it's intentionally restricted to only allow friends I add to view my posts or photos. I'm not really concerned with the images getting lost. The iphone gets synced daily to the NAT I have, plus the ones I posted are stored in photobucket as well.

91W350

When you copy them to your drive and then upload to the site, it does not matter how your facebook settings are, it is just another image file off your drive.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you copy them to your drive and then upload to the site, it does not matter how your facebook settings are, it is just another image file off your drive.
That wasn't exactly what I'm talking about. I have my facebook profile settings to not allow anyone to view my photographs or my account details. You have to be a "friend" of mine on facebook to see anything more than my name and restricted info page.

91W350

I understand that, it is just a free service that is super easy to upload to from a smart phone application. It is faster and easier to do it in the field than it is to wait until I get home to sync up the phone. Just upload and then when I need the images, they are available for quick download.

When you upload an image saved on your computer to the site, the source of the image does not matter. It could have come from a protected site, like your restricted facebook files. Once downloaded as a file though, it is just another image file. Facebook no longer has anything to do with the accessibility of the image.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks