• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intro and Info needed

pacebm

Hey guys, I have been SS a while and have bought, sold and drove a lot of US iron but I am starting the search for a Unimog. I guess I'm just looking for something new and different. I plan to travel all over the Southeast to Civil War battle sites and camp from the vehicle. I know hotels are cheaper, and RV's are easier but my heart is set. I have researched and read a lot about the Unimogs but I am still not sure which model I should be looking for. I know I want a Doka and a diesel. 75 to 80 mph highway and decent offroad. Is that even possible in a Unimog? I'm not Arnold so I can't afford a custom rig from Germany. Which model and options shoudl I be looking for? I appreciate any advice you can give (except don't get a MOG).

UNIMOG-GUY

Well I'd say the first question should be what are you willing to spend?

404's (stock one's are gas) are the least expensive followed by 406/416's (diesel) then you step up to the more modern 1200 (diesel) and 1300's (diesel).... Doka's are more expensive than the regular cab models so be aware of that.

Check this link for an idea about prices Unimog® Exchange™

As for 80mph and decent offroad...I doubt you will find a more capable stock vehicle offroad but even with fast axles I think you'll be pushing it trying to acheive 80mph.

Last edited:

busbart

Hi,

If you are thinking of getting a 404 or a 406/416 , put out of your head the 75/80 Mph!
These are old vehicles build to old standards, ie they are wonderful off road, but pretty spartan and slow, in standard form.

Since everyting is possible, you can have them at lightening speed, but that comes with a price.

What i would say, adjust your parameters, or 75/80 MPH and looking for another vehicle, or UNIMOG and lower speeds! (that has a good thing as wel, you at least see where you travel)

Good luck with finding your thing, whatever it might be!

spicergear

You need to look to the bigger Mogs. You can get fast axles in the U900 series in the 416 long wheelbase trucks but still won't get you to 75. U1300 to 1700 or larger will help as they'll have more power, handle speed a little better and you can get the Claas overdrive for them and larger tires then on the 900 series (comfortably). Look for a truck with a factory turbo in this larger class and the OM366 engine. Look for a truck already outfitted with a the Claas overdrive or you'll be in for another $5,000+ (if you're lucky) to put one on. Check Atkinson Vos website to familiarize yourself with the larger trucks, use the search on google or benzworld.com and make a habit of checking the the unimog exchange for trucks and parts for sale.

Jim Hunter

As other guys suggest you are looking for the U435 series unimog (U1300 and U1300L)
An ex fire service truck has factory fast axles along with the OM366 engine (not the 366A as the latter is intercooled) these can fecth an high price and are in high demand.
Other option is an ex Bundeswehr U1700 krankenwagen (ambulance) that also has fast axles and 366 engine.The vast majority of ex Bundeswehr U1300s have 352A engine and slow axles...
I found many of them in Germany and Austria for good prices BUT shipping and customs and misc make this an expensive option...
But if you start with an U1300 lets say and you have to upgrade the engine and the axles these are big $$$ as unimogs was never cheap...Also as fast R&Ps are in high demand you have to go for new units that cost serious sum of money...

Jim

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2012.

Unimogs are no turkeys, but they aren't jets either! You might want to buy a Civillian truck, as to do what you want will take about $29,000 to 40,000 to find a good used U1300L ambulance with Ultra-High speed axles and a diesel engine. An ambulance will hold about 60 MPH all day long with the aforementioned axles, but put 70 or 80 out of your head. And the S404.114's, my favorite, are only good for about 35 to 40 mph, anything more and you will blow the bearings out of the transmission and transfer cases (bronze sleeve types, no rollers). An S404.114 can get 18 MPG if driven sanely (below 40-45 and not pushing it, but a 750 mile trip from Texas to Illinois did take 3-1/2 very long days..;-).
They will eat up just about every other 4X4 off road, but again wisdom and consideration for the vehicle is your best friend and they won't leave you walking, beat them, and you will walk back, from more inaccessible places then you ever knew existed before....

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
They don't have a "transfer case". I drive my 404 45-50 mph all the time. There isnt anything wrong with that speed.

saddamsnightmare

November 25th, 2012.

Dear flighht2k5:

I stand corrected, the transfer case fucntion is incorporated into the main transmission, which is why that transmission is so very large compared to almost any other FWD (especially American ones), but I was advised by, I believe Herr Engineer Wolf Dose, not to push the Unimog for hours at above 60 to 70 KMPH for very long, as that would take out the bearings in the transmission(s). I have known S404.114's Unimogs in Texas to get their transmissions eaten up very quickly at above 70 KMPH for hours at a time as they are not designed for that kind of road work. Sure,they will do 100 KMPH with the right tires for short spans of time, but I would challenge you to do it for 10 or 12 hours at a shot in 106-110*F heat, especially with near rated loads.... Even the original stock military and most of the AG tires are not rated for those speed, heat and load ranges. You might run your Unimog as you wish, but I might ask, why did the later series of S/U Unimogs end up with roller bearings in the transmissions instead of the bronze ones if the original design was so good in the first rendition? I love my S, but I would rather it be around for another thirty to fifty years, even if I am not!;-)

flighht2k5

Banned
It doesn't get that hot here and I rarely carry any weight in it. Most people I've talked to on benzworld say its ok to cruise at 45-50.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks