• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salvage yard locator map

DMgunn

Colyork recently suggested a salvage yard locator map, and I think that is a great idea. Thought I could get the idea some more exposure over here. What do you guys think?

JDToumanian

The current "member locator map" has provisions for adding MV Suppliers (which of course would include salvage yards), and the little map icon is a different color - red is members, yellow is suppliers, and green is assistance members, black is DRMO lots...

I went in a while back and added all my local So.Cal suppliers - Barstow Truck Parts, Antelope Valley, Walkers. I noticed Memphis Equipment is on there, too. If everyone added their local suppliers and MV boneyards, people planning a trip could easily see both suppliers and members that may be near where they're going. So personally, I don't think a separate map is needed... we all just need to fill up and use the one we've got.

Regards,
Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Jon. There is already a spot/area/portal to add salvage yards in the locator map.

mangus580

Well, I was thinking that its nice to see the difference between a surplus/parts dealer (usually carrying NOS, or 'inventoried' parts) vs a salvage yard that you have to trudge through with tools to get hwat you want.

DMgunn

I remember now...........why yes, I have seen those other colors on the map. My miniature (1/64 scale, I think) brain was simply unable to retain.

JDToumanian

One thing that would complicate having several different maps is that many MV parts suppliers are ALSO salvage yards... In my area, both Walker's and Antelope Valley sell new manufacture parts, NOS parts, and used parts from their boneyards... many similar suppliers would end up being on both maps.

Instead of multiple maps, maybe the existing map could be set up to filter the display... view only members, or view only MV suppliers, or view all, etc.

mangus580

JDToumanian said:
Instead of multiple maps, maybe the existing map could be set up to filter the display... view only members, or view only MV suppliers, or view all, etc.
Thats what I meant...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks