• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M107, Good Deal?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, thought I got a real good deal on an M107 water buffalo, now I'm not so sure! Here's the deal. Wayne Harris alerted me to a water buffalo on GSA just 60 miles away. I checked it out and bid on it. I won the trailer for $126. Great so far even if it's only in marginal conditional. Today I get a call from the Forestry Service guy wanting to discuss its removal. He advised me that he doesn't think its roadworthy and that its not in Ft Lauderdale as the GSA site says but in Big Pine Key near Key West. Now the trailer is 220 miles away. He also sent me a much clearer pic of the trailer. Looks a little rough and the odd hitch is skeletor looking. He was mostly concerned about the towability with that hitch. Good points, I'm not restoring it as a water trailer but using it to haul fuel. Aluminum tank should be just fine since its never been frozen. It has some type of gasoline powered water pump on the nose. All in all, pretty sure it will work out. Now I need to ready the tractor for a long trip to the Keys to get it. I'll probably take some tools and swap out the lunette just to get it home. Should be interesting. Here's the only pic I have.

Attachments

Pinkie

Man, sorry to hear about the 220 miles ver, 60 miles. Maybe when you get there you will find its ok. The worst things I would worry about are tires and bearings.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M107

Never got that far Wayne. I only spoke with the Forestry Dude. I'm not really interested in voiding the contract anyway. This will work out for me either way even if I have to change chassis down the road. I also considered putting the tank on an M200 generator trailer, the 2 1/2 ton one with dual tires.

devilman96

Man... thats just wrong *sigh*... Sometimes auctions are such a pain! It looks like someone rigged up a pin hitch for a truckster like we use around here... Sad to see on done on a M107!!!

If you want to save some fuel / time you can take my truck down to get it Mon / Tues... Both tanks are topped off and good to go. Drop the tractor and M200 at my place on the way down and pick up / swap trailers on the way back.

FrankUSMC

We have that same trailer at work (MCAS Cherry Point, NC), also with a small engine to power a pump. We use ours for fuel for the trucks. Next time I look at it, I will try to remember to look at the data plate to see if it started life as a water buffalo.
One of the few, Frank

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Appealing offer Mike but I'm going to have to decline. Not only would I not be able to track down a problem if one appeared, I can't afford to fix it if something should happen. Better off to stick with my own junk. I was planning on going Monday but I wonder of the Div of Forestry will even be there. Another reason to take the tractor is it has plenty of tires. Now that I got the better pic, I plan on taking the lunette off my M103 and swapping out lunettes to do away with that crazy looking hitch. I'm hoping I can cut whatever welds they put on that lunette and save it later. Bearings will be the only major issue and I'm pretty confident they can make it back. Maybe the gasoline powered pump on the tongue will net a few recovered dollars. We'll see!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you are picking up with a deuce, better watch sharp turns and backing with that gasoline engine there! the bumperettes might make short work of it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'd flat trailer it. I bought a M107 water trailer back in 1998 from DRMO for $5 at Ft. Meade, sight unseen. Picked it up, and brought a flatbed trailer, thank God! Wheels were attached, tires inflated (vintage 1960-something), but the wheels didn't turn even when dragged out of the parking space by the yard forklift. Had to bring it back to the farm and tear the wheels apart and replace the seized bearings.

Bottom line, it's still a good deal, despite the longer drive, but bring a flatbed just in case the deal is even worse than you thought.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would if I could but my pickup is broken. Of course if you're volunteering? I'm confident I can get it home, it was put where it is only a few months ago so it does roll.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Didn't go today. It's going to have to wait 2 weeks as it is. Mike, I'm going to try to drop off the trailer today. I'll grab the lunette off it in 2 weeks on my way to Big Pine Key.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks