• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This Might be a Military Snowcat...

RangerBob

I'm in Cooperstown, NY tonight positioned for an early morning retrieval. It's not like I need YET ANOTHER SNOWCAT :doh:, but they took my offer and I'm forced to haul her off. :mrgreen:

Garaged.jpgBeg Up.jpg
Plow.jpgRear.jpg

After a look-over a couple of weeks ago, I could not determine for sure if she is ex-military, but she does come with this manual...

Manual Portrait.jpg

..so I left them with my best offer and got word of their acceptance a couple of days later. I think I may have made the offer just for the manual! :rolleyes:

The serial number of this unit does not fall into the range listed on the manual cover, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't part of a different acquisition contract. Either way, it's been modified from stock, including a dump bed. Military or not, I think I can find a use for her.

More pictures...

Controls.jpgDash 2.jpg
Cab Seats.jpgEngine.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...I can't think of much use for it down here, but I gotta tell ya...

Military or not...the "cool factor" rates high on my wanna meter and I betcha it will be a big assett up there!:beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it might have been military, but that does not mean it was ever painted OD green. For training purposes, I could see the next to have snowcats painted orange so that they can be easily seen if lost and rescue was needed. For tactical use, the M973 SUSV was camo to fill that role.

RangerBob

I operated an orange USAF Spryte when I was stationed at Eielson. The only thing that showed it as military was the 'USAF', registration number, and 'For Official Use Only' on the doors and the contract info on the dataplate. The Imp that I also operated was a lovely strata blue. I miss that cool little Imp.

RangerBob

8 hour haul and she's home. Too late to go through her, but she motored right up the mountain.

Loaded...
PA270158.jpg

Play time for co-worker...
PA270159.jpg

Ready to unload at base of mountain...
PA270161.jpg

RangerBob

$5K-$15K should be a good range, depending on condition, but you can find them considerably above AND below that. I think I have a post somewhere that gives and idea of what you can get for how much. Will look around.

Meanwhile, since little sister watches my place in my absence, I gave her a little snowcat operating lesson in case she needs to move things around...

Colleens Snowcat Lesson - 1978 Thiokol Spryte with Plow and Dump Bed - YouTube

Ok, here's a link to a post about Spryte prices. Also note that snowcat prices fluctuate with the seasons. Buy in the summer and sell in the winter to make the best deals.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/motorcycles-atvs/77495-usaf-tucker-743-a-2.html#post979811

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks