• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

56GMC M220 questions?

brgmchevy

I am looking at a 1956GMC M220 Shop Van without the van body and I am seeking tech manual information. The motor is suposed to run and the tranny has an issue with anti-freeze getting into the fluid? I have no idea how the tranny is cooled or how to even check the fluid in these GMC models? Where can I get tech manuals and pertinent info?
The cab is in excellent shape, 1 little rust spot at bottom of driver's fender. Interior is in good condition other than torn driver's seat covers and incorrect passenger seat. Has wrong front bumper but the frame, axles, motor, tansfer look in good condition. It has a homemade hardtop that is pretty good lookin. The exhaust even looks OK! It has 32,000miles on the odometer.

I'm debating the purchase of this truck due to my lack of knowledge of this style. They want $500 for it which I think is somewhat fair so I am trying to get more info on this style to aid my decision. I believe an M35 bed would work on this chassis, which I have access to. I've tried to find some info on the web but I have been unsuccessful in attaining the info I need.

thanks

gusce

If any text is blacked out just highlight it and it is easy to read.

In the GMC M Series the transmission is everything. If it is no good you have a spare parts truck or you are willing to spend about $1000 on a rebuilt one from Memphis Equipment. They do a great job but that is a big hit on a $500-2000 truck.

Use Dextron in the AT. Memphis Equipment insists on this and they are correct. I have used
Dextron in mine for 8 years without a hitch.

Always use Low Range Reverse, never High Range Reverse. HR burns out a cone clutch very rapidly.

This transmission is not a "put it into L1 and go", it has to be helped manually. I can send a long instruction sheet to anyone who wants it. Just post your email address. The Army Manual is nothing but confusion, I had to read it five times to make any sense of it and then I had to learn by doing.

dmp1981

hey guys have been reading the posts and learning alot. I just got a XM211 and been going over it. Just did my first road test yesterday. The transmission in these trucks seems to be the big debate. ATF vs 30wt. My came with ATF. I am buying a M135 and its owner has run 30wt for 20 years per the Manual. He says the guys that he has convoid with that used ATF in hot weather had to stop and cool down and couldnt keep up. I would like the instruction sheets for operation emailed to me by the member who offer. Here's my Email. apsco@csinet.net.Thanks in advance. :) On the open road mine wants to get to 4th way to fast.

xm211, M135

Laporte Indiana

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks