• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curing time for Gillespie paint

troy.m38a1

How long does it take for Gillespie paint to fully cure (harden)? I painted my windshield frame 24 hours ago and the paint is dry but very soft (I can mess it up with my fingernail).

lacoda56

It takes synthetic enamel paint a long time to cure, and it really isn't a very tough coating. Depending on temp., I'd guess 2 to 4 weeks to get as hard as it's going to get. I'm no expert, just what I've picked up along the way.

M215

Paint

I usually have had good luck with Gillespie's products. What color did you use, thinner, number of coats, drying time between coats, hardner, drying time between primer and paint. OD semi-gloss #24087 (#?) is a soft finish even with hardner. I like the lusterless paints, they appear more durable even without hardner. I let the prime dry a day or two, then apply three coats of paint allowing each coat to tack before appling the next. I'll let stuff dry over night before handling, but will take several days to dry before you can really work with it. Helps if the humidty is low.

I prefer to paint individual parts and then do a final paint after the vehicle is assembled.
Hope this helps.
Karl

troy.m38a1

RE: Paint

I used 24052 out of a spray can. Put primer on, waited two hours, then put two coats of paint. After I painted, I moved it inside (70 deg F) and presumably low humidity since it has been cold outside and the dog shocks me when I pet her.

If I want to put another coat on, do I need to sand, or just wipe it down with alcohol or something?

devilman96

RE: Fed Paint Colors - very interesting web page

Your having to wait for paint and primer to cure... Give it a few days... get it out in the sun too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks