• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My next 'MV'

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: My next

I like the sign on the side that says "DO NOT HUMP". Must be some pretty freaky brass ridin in the Soul Train!

JCease

There is a very nicely restored version of the Pullman Troop Sleeper at the Baltimore and Ohio RR Museum in Baltiomore. It is in the old roundhouse at near Camden Yards right downtown. They ususally have a few Military displays throughout the year. In November they had living history re-enactors there with some old military vehilces and all kinds of military equipment. It is definitely worth checking out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your right it does say 'do not hump'. I always pictured dirty things when I saw that. It wasn't until I started working for the railroad that I learned the true meaning- 'do not hump' means don't send it through a hump yard. A hump yard is a railyard with a hill on one end,(the hump) and they push the cars over the hill and cut them off, and they roll on their own down to the proper tracks. It can damage fragile things like the gen, windows, lights when the car gets to the rest of the train and WHACK! makes the coupling.

If I got it I would definity leave that on there. Great conversation piece. I wonder if we could do a rally near some railroad tracks... :wink:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Two years ago I had a chance to buy a "guard car" from one of the cold war missile trains from GL.
These trains carried nuke missiles and were moved from siding to siding to keep the Russians guessing as to their whereabouts.
It was located in Lynn Haven, Florida and I happened to be in the area while the inspection was open.
I got to walk through it and see what kind of condition it was in.
It still had the Air Force markings and numbers on it and was in pretty good physical shape. It had sleeping quarters, galley, restrooms/ showers and a big GM diesel genny.
There was also a communications car but it had a lot of equipment with the old transformers that may or may not have contained PCB's.
The commo car was not up for sale yet and to the best of my knowledge is still there.
It would have cost me about $1800.00 to get it moved to AL but I had no place to put it.
The RR also insisted on an inspection and any repairs that would have been necessary to make it safe to pull.
The car sold for $2400.00 and I was told the buyer had a lot of trouble getting it to the main line to be picked up.
But it would have been the "mother of all MV's"

Capt.Marion

Re: RE: My next

maddawg308 said:
I like the sign on the side that says "DO NOT HUMP". Must be some pretty freaky brass ridin in the Soul Train!
several cars at the local RR musuem say that. I assume thats referring to a special type of rail yard, a hump yard. From Wikipedia on Hump yards: These are the largest and most effective classification yards with the largest shunting capacity — often several thousand cars a day. The heart of these yards is the hump: a lead track on a hill (hump) over which the cars are pushed by the engine. Single cars, or some coupled cars in a block, are uncoupled just before or at the crest of the hump and roll by gravity into their destination tracks in the classification bowl (the tracks where the cars are sorted).

The speed of the cars rolling down from the hump into the classification bowl must be regulated because of the different natural speed of the wagons (full or empty, heavy or light freight, number of axles) and the different filling of the tracks (whether there are presently few or many cars on it). As concerns speed regulation there are two types of hump yards: without or with mechanisation by retarders. In the old non-retarder yards braking was usually done in Europe by railroaders who lay skates onto the tracks, or in the USA by riders on the cars. In the modern retarder yards this work is done by mechanized "rail brakes" called retarders. They are operated either pneumatically (e.g. in the USA, France, Belgium, Russia or China) or hydraulically (e.g. in Germany, Italy or the Netherlands).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks