• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb MRAP question

bones1

Those idiots, what a waste. My dad worked for NOAA in the sixties and they used to destroy good lathes, mills and whatever in the parking lot. I used to ask for them but no go.

moose97

I'll follow up with my dumb MRAP question then (being new to MV's) - have any gotten loose to date? Obviously even the elusive Gama Goat, M151 and HMMWV have had a few get out...

L1A1

I'll follow up with my dumb MRAP question then (being new to MV's) - have any gotten loose to date? Obviously even the elusive Gama Goat, M151 and HMMWV have had a few get out...
You're talking about into private hands? None that I'm aware of...... Not sure what the local Dept. armored car is, it was purchased with a DHS grant and is painted in that flat sand color that everything else is painted up in these days.

On a somewhat related note, Westchester County (sp?) in NYS has a LAV25 (the variant w/o the turret) for their dept's tactical vehicle.
Matt

moose97

You're talking about into private hands? None that I'm aware of...... Not sure what the local Dept. armored car is, it was purchased with a DHS grant and is painted in that flat sand color that everything else is painted up in these days.
Yeah, that's what I meant - private hands. Like I said, some of the "forbidden" trucks have reached private hands, but MRAP's likely will might never get the chance. Too bad - seems like something I need to commute to work every day with :beer:

L1A1

Moose
The soft skinned MVs that were on the demill list leaked out through various means but I'd really doubt that any of the newer more modern armored stuff would. Although there was an M60A1 (A3?) MBT that was in private hands in Texas & for sale so I guess the old saying of "never say never" could hold true.

Matt

M1224

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If for some reason you would want a M1224, M1234, M1235, or M1266 MaxxPro MRAP, Just buy a Navistar Workstar 7400 chassis truck, and call Navistar Defense to see if they will sell you an armored capsule to mount on the frame.

I know the MaxxPro's are being sold off to LEO, Homeland Security and FMS. All the rest are getting standard demill. Although you might be able to get some of the components.... DT-570 engine, Allison 3200 trans, Meritor axles.........

Scarecrow1

If there is a way to recycle them they will but, lets face it some things don't need to be in the hands of Joe public and this may be one of them. The sad truth is they are failing to even stay in service and from what has been posted on them they are a monster to keep running. and not even all the money our uncle has thrown into them can keep them functional. So with that said I don't want to be on that list anyway,

Kalashnikov

If we can import armor and tanks from foreign countries I can't see why our own government won't sell us armored vehicles. It's such a waste just to cut them up.

L1A1

If we can import armor and tanks from foreign countries I can't see why our own government won't sell us armored vehicles. It's such a waste just to cut them up.
That has been Uncle's policy since the 1950s and it aint gonna change any time soon. They don't care about how much money they waste. After all it isn't theirs...It's yours & my money....

Matt

TehTDK

If there is a way to recycle them they will but, lets face it some things don't need to be in the hands of Joe public and this may be one of them. The sad truth is they are failing to even stay in service and from what has been posted on them they are a monster to keep running. and not even all the money our uncle has thrown into them can keep them functional. So with that said I don't want to be on that list anyway,
I find that very strange, because our armed forces (Danish Military) has leased 20 or so Cougars from the US armed Forces and the conditions are that we pay the running costs for the vehicles which amounts to rough 2-3 USD a month pr vehicle, or so I have been told. I just find it very very hard to believe that a vehicle of that size and weight can be kept running for that low of an amount a month. Obviously if the Cougar costs a fortune to procure then that might be offset by a low running cost. But 2-3 ISD a month seems rather low, unless they are not getting a lot of mileage :p.

But I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to just remove all the armour, and then sell it as is, without the armour. Unless of cause that all the armour is in fact not bolt-on but rather welded for fabricated onto the truck itself.

moose97

[cough] ebay motors [cough] search MRAP [cough] ****!!! I suddenly wish I had some (okay, LOTS) of cash! [cough] worth it if I get the ban-hammer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks