• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unimog is here

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking Mog, I have always wanted either a Mog or a Pinz but it seems that 5 tons keep getting the way! Have fun with the 404 it looks like a very fun ride
KK

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2012.:D

Dkevin:

Thumbs up on the Unimog, nice truck. Just get any rust under control, and plan to replace most of the original rubber on the engine and driveline, as it probably hasn't been done in a few years. Also, be aware that the M180 engine does not like ethanol in the gasoline, so plan on putting a 24 VDC electric fuel pump on it (mine destroyed 3 MB rebuilt fuel pumps in three months when I first go to Illinois), and then on banging your head against the wall when the carb and valve guide seals rubber gets eaten up along with the gas tank linings. Seems Mercedes used Butyl rubber on these, never expecting them to be exposed to 10%ethanol and gasoline, and so far, NOBODY makes the correct rebuild components in silicone rubber. Otherwise, if you drive them like you're sane, they are wonderful little trucks that will eat most other FWD's up and leave them for dead or stuck!
Mine had 10,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2007, now it has about 40,000 and has made the trip from Texas to Illinois once! Too many people on here underrate the S404.114's, but most have never actually driven one or they would sing a much different song. Good luck with the truck!;-) And if they use salt in your area, wash, paint and undercoat!!!!!

N.B: on the vaporlock mentioned below by Flighht2k5

The Unimog S404.114 uses a carburetor mounted just above the exhaust manifold with a lovely little drain pan and line so when, not if, your carb leaks gasoline, it won't drain on the exhaust manifold. I suspect that this mounting was caused by the "L" head engine, and it does pretty well in the cold (adjust choke by experience and ear), and I never had problems with 106*F days in Texas-but no long hills anywhere in east Texas. Flighht2k5 may have some suggestions as to how to rectify the vapor locks. My truck has hated every minute in Illinois though due to the poor gasoline. Maybe one of these days these folks will learn to drink corn liquor, not burn it!:popcorn:

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
My truck hasn't had any issues running on ethanol. Knock on wood. It will sit for two months and it'll start right up. The only thing is doesn't like is when it's 100 degrees outside it'll vapor lock going up a long hill.

dkeven

Yes I plan on going through most of it as far as rubber items, it has some issues running seem to be fuel delivery plan on checking out the selector tomorrow and maybe the fuel pump although it seems to work when gas gets to it. Just little things so far looking for a spare wheel and tire, bought a new top and side windows for the upcoming winter. drained flushed and refilled antifreeze. Will need to do amajor sand and pint but for now just getting driveability issues so I can put it on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks