• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

h-pipe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3" is probably overkill but 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 would help a little. A balance tube will also help. Being N/A anything to help airflow through the engine will be of some benefit. Stans headers makes headers for them and they work well but are pricey. An air cleaner mod would also be in order to go with the exhaust. Getting more cool intake air always helps.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exhaust mods and K&N filter probably would net 5hp total.

I'd put a stock filter back on it.

rsh4364

after pricing 3 inch exhaust i decided to keep 2.25 back to mufflers, then put in 2.5 inch h-pipe, then 3 inch muffs. with 3 inch tail pipes, should sound unique..

Skinny

Unique...as in loud, obnoxious, and unusable???

IMO, unless you are doing a turbo install or swapping to something else that makes more power stock (like a turbo diesel), spending any time or money on a 6.2 for power is a waste. Just an opinion...good luck on your endeavors. Get a good noise canceling headset!

350TacoZilla

An h pipe should help a bit with bottom end power and will actually make truck slightly quieter than no H pipe since each cylinders exhaust will be routed through 2 mufflers not just one, it does take some of the lumpy idle sound out of the pipes also. I had a 6.2 all stock except for 2.5 straight pipe duals from manifolds back and it ran better than stock and was no louder than a 454 truck with flowmasters (trust me I have had both at same time).

if you have the cash and plan to stay N/A the stans headers cant be beat, I have heard claims for 25hp and 40 TQ which sounds unbelievable until you cut a stock manifold in half long ways and see how restricted it is. they also used to carry lifetime warranty and are ceramic coated in and out. The guys at stans told a guy that their headers on a truck the ip tuned correctly is within 7hp of a banks turbo truck.

I plan to run stans and a eaton m90 supercharger on my 6.2 project truck

richingalveston

If you are going to do any mods that create more than a couple of horses extra, Turbo or exhaust no matter what it is, you better plan on a stug girdle kit on the bottom end or you will find all of the bottom end on the ground. The crank and block design do not allow for too many more horses without doing something on the bottom end also.

My oppinion is that doing the turbo propperly, which is lowering the compression along with stud girdle kit is the best money per extra horses you can spend if you put the standard 6.5 turbo on instead of a banks. can't say banks is bad but for the cost, the 6.5 turbo does the same thing for less than half the cost.
You also save money on the exhaust since only one pipe and muffler is needed. I do not believe any exhaust mods and intake mods will get you the throttle response of a turbo. May get more power thats noticeable under heavy loads and hill climbs but probably won't be noticed much in the gas pedal. With a turbo you get throttle response and more power with less or same fuel. Just making the air go through the engine faster with air intake and exhaust will also make the fuel go through the engine at a higher rate.

My 2 cents, welcome to the diesel world
once you go diesel, gas is just something you pass.

lolercaust

Im 50/50 id go 2.5 all the way back, what i was all ways told is diesel's love to breath more so the a gas engine. IMO i love scavenging, H pipes are good for low end but id consider X pipes to help out on high end. though im not sure if a 6.2 will get high enogh RPM's for a X pipe to do much. Either way its better then the true duals and much better then Y pipes. As for the sound, good beastly rumble=GOOD obnoxouis inbreeder loud= BAD.

rsh4364

I ended up keeping 2.25 back to mufflers,was in great shape,then installed 3 inch moroso spiral flow muffs and 3 inch tails,runs much better,but might add an h-pipe I have left over from my other project,1009 is on youtube search rsh4364 to listen,thanks for input guys..the x-pipe is going on my 79 Malibu..

Last edited:

lolercaust

Sounds good, do the H pipe all V8's love scavenging between the engine banks. It will give you a lil more low end but not much and a much happier engine. When you really boil it down i think all that matters is whats best for the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks