• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuild my 1962 M37

rustyscrew

About a year ago I bought a 1962 M37, other then some fuel system problems it ran OK. After much debate I deiced to tear it down to the frame and start a complete restoration. The easy part is done I have torn her down to the frame and after much research on-line all I can say is WHAT IN THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!

So here I am wondering what to do with all these piles of parts,
do I reuse it , replace it, different engine, same Tran, new axles and on and on and on, Then it came to with the wealth of info in this room why not let you all rebuild her for me.

So here's what I was thinking, during this project I'm going to let Steel Soldiers decided how I restore this old beauty one phase at a time. At the beginning of each phase I will take a majority vote approach to what I'll do next ,(keep in mind cost is somewhat a consideration) then I'll post pictures and move on to the next phase.

Let me know what you all think of my plan.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I love spending other people's money! LOL

Just ask my boss!

rustyscrew

I will be working on replacing my fuel and brake lines and shocks. First question, do I rebuild exsisting axles keeping it original or change gearing or replace them all together?

6x6pinz

Keith
One of the best things about the old iron is that it is slow and gives all a chance to get a good look. I have never been a fan of repowering or regearing. Way to much fun to drive around town nice and slow. If you decide to rebuild the axles, Kaman in Phoenix has the Timken bearings in stock.

Have you met Al yet? He has some parts for the M37 right in your backyard. There is also a gentleman in out towards Maricopa that has some M37 parts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First question, do I rebuild exsisting axles keeping it original or change gearing or replace them all together?
If it were mine, I would simply pull it apart and replace bearings and put it back together stock.

acetomatoco

only you know how you are going to use it... for most, keeping as many of the old parts as possible is the answer...wear and tear will probably not be a concern to you cuz you are going to be kind to her... Changing axle ratios is not a concern either unless you want to go 65, and then you need to changee to bigger brakes...ACE

Boatcarpenter

Look at it this way; it already has 45 years under its belt just the way it was built with probably no more care than necessary to keep it going. I say rebuild that sucker and give her another 45 years and just enjoy it for what it is. You would be surprised at what you notice cruising around at 40- 50 MPH. My.02.

rustyscrew

I agree, I want to keep her as original as possible. My only concern is that I leave in the middle of nowhere and to get anywhere I have to get on the freeway. I may piss off a lot of people, oh well that’s what the slow lane is for, Looks like the old girl will be keeping her original legs.

rustyscrew

Re: RE: Rebuild my 1962 M37

6x6pinz said:
Keith
Have you met Al yet? He has some parts for the M37 right in your backyard. There is also a gentleman in out towards Maricopa that has some M37 parts.
No I have not met him yet, it would be nice to find out what parts he has

CGarbee

Re: RE: Rebuild my 1962 M37

acetomatoco said:
only you know how you are going to use it... ACE
This is the best reply so far IMHO. You can't answer any of your questions concerning any of the components without considering the overal picture since they are all interrelated.

An example: If you are going to stay with the stock engine, keeping the brakes stock may be a good choice, if you do a repower than you really want to consider front or four wheel discs... etc, etc.

My advice: Think about how you want to use the truck. Think about it some more. Visualize what you want it to be when you finish and how it will fit into your plans for the future (yours in general, not just for the truck). Once you have this firmly in your mind, and know what the truck should be, then you can create a list of everything that you will need to do to convert what you have to what you want, then you can create a game plan and break everything down into manageble, orderly, steps.

Ask advice along the way, but avoid managing you project by "committee".

Good luck

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Rebuild my 1962 M37

If the axles have not ever been run dry, you will probably find that seals are all that is needed, possibly pinion bearings. The axle bearings will probably need replacement, as they are subject to get dirt in them from bad seals. Tranny and transfer case? How did they work before you tore it down? If they shifted smoothly, throw seals at them and go on. I would replace all the brake lines, rebuild the wheel cyls. and put on new shoes. Make sure the drums are salvageable or have them turned. Rebuild or replace the master cyl. Get a rolling chassis back together first, then start on the body. Set up a logical order in which to do things. A plan is always a good thing to have! Have fun, ask questions.

rustyscrew

I have new break lines and fuel line on order. Tranny and transfer case worked great prior to tear down. I do need to locate new master and wheel cyls they are pretty shot.

rustyscrew

I have new break lines and fuel line on order. Tranny and transfer case worked great prior to tear down. I do need to locate new master and wheel cyls they are pretty shot.

6x6pinz

No I have not met him yet, it would be nice to find out what parts he has
He has most all the parts for the truck. The last time I was there he did not have any good wheel cylinders left. The dealers should have them and if not there is a guy on Ebay who always seems to have them.

carguy455

Military Vehicles magazine did a great article in the April 2006 issue on doing an M37 Master cylinder upgrade. You need to read it !

In MY humble opinion, braking technology has come a LONNNNNG way in 40 years, and especially on the M37 NOBODY is even going to see or know you have modified the brake system but YOU. And when will you know this ? Why, everytime you STEP ON THE PEDAL ! I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants guy, but I have since found that saftey should be first and formost in everything we do. Even at 30-40 M.P.H. think of the damage that massive front bumper on your M37 is going to do to the back of some import sedan that stops quick in front of you. Don't you want that extra braking power ? Your system was shot anyway, and you are at complete teardown currently, AND , as I understand it, the upgrade uses commonly available "over the counter" master cylinders that will probably be cheaper and easier to get !

Seems like a win/win to me for a truck you intend to drive, not have sitting in a museum somewhere. If you need that article let me know , I have it right here.

6x6pinz

Keith
Al's numbers are 623.374.5386 and cell 602.377.6707 He is an interesting guy but very knowledgable about the trucks.

carguy455

Military Vehicles Mag did another great article on putting disc brakes on the front of M37's using commonly available parts , I am not able to find that one, maybe someone else out there knows which issue/year ?

Check out the pics of this $1300 57 M37 I found last week.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks