• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent LMTV out of Hooks

shankspony

So I've been watching the SS the past few weeks waiting to hear chatter about this LMTV at Hooks on GL that was recently won. I'm dying to own one of these, but this recent one didn't seem like it was "intact." There were screws missing here and there and it didn't seem to have all the "options" I'm looking for which lead me to think she might be a bigger money pit than I might expect. I haven't heard or seen diddly squat in regards to this LMTV. I'm dying to know what shape she was/is in.

Anyone know anything? Anyone do a pre-auction inspection? :?:

Thanks!

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$19k was too rich for me.

The Air Force one in Hammond, La earlier also sold quite high and it was rumored to have had a bad tranny.

Not many in the pipeline as it is a current vehicle not released in any qty.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked up the definition of money pit and it had a picture of a generic MV.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It closed over 20 k which puts it at over 22K with fees. My theory is there was something catastrophically wrong with it to get an unserviceable "X". Otherwise other agencies such as fire depts, etc, would have scooped it up.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had someone send me the information and I looked it up in the system (finally learned the new LIW). It was coded as "Z" which cross referenced to "Unit Reconciliation" I have zero clue. I THINK what happened was it was deemed excess and someone somewhere along the line decided to DRMO it instead of put it back into the system. It looked similar to how I "think" one of my trucks would look if 'local cannibalization' was authorized (as my M998s were in S. Korea a few years ago).

Course the engine could have been seized, a crappy transmission, and the BMO just wanted to get rid of the problem child...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Fire Depts probably don't want them due to their maintenance upkeep. They are also top heavy so side hill firefighting is problematic. Next is problem of getting a brush guard on a cab over design. Add to this the height of the bed. Overall, I think they will say thanks but no thanks. Not sure how receptive they are to the 900 series 5 ton due to the flimsy, forward tilt hood.

As for the turn-in. We know it isn't the first one, there's been others. On one occasion I reported an MTV that was very low miles to an appropriate office as having been a mistake or to have it reutilized for a different unit. It was like urinating in a hurricane force wind. I was basically told there had to be a good reason for the turn in and most likely the truck was damaged beyond repair and to stay out of their lane and they knew what they were doing. This came from a person that never looked at the pictures.

I do remember that if a different Army unit tries to obtain anything from DRMO (DoD vs Army) they pay a fee. IIRC that fee is 100% of cost for code A condition, 50% for code B and I can't remember if there is a 10% charge on the other condition codes or not. I know state surplus agencies charge varying fees for non=profits within their states and that is based on the acquisition cost.

flighht2k5

Banned
They don't require more maintenance upkeep than anything else. I am in a maintenance unit and we have several full time mechanics that work on all types of equipment. They have nothing but good stuff to say about them.

shankspony

I was reading another thread which mentioned preference between "fixer-uppers" and those MVs requiring less TLC (more expensive but drivable/serviceable). This would apply to this LMTV. The others I saw went for $10k more and certainly were in the repair state I would prefer. I probably would have done DSD277's LVAD though. That thing is pretty sweet.

Maybe whoever purchased it will bless us with more info. They probably haven't picked it up yet much less have their EUC cleared , hehe.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixing an item means you have access to parts. Try calling S&S with a "Im a fire dept, I need part # NSN, and can help me" I bet the last thing you'd hear is laughing as they hung up the phone. Sounds like a page out of the AM General customer service manual.

DSD277

Fixing an item means you have access to parts. Try calling S&S with a "Im a fire dept, I need part # NSN, and can help me" I bet the last thing you'd hear is laughing as they hung up the phone. Sounds like a page out of the AM General customer service manual.
Hardy. BAE hae been extremely helpful with my truck. I've gotten many parts that I thought might be unobtainium... and there are a few common parts that are unobtainium .
But , BAE also was quite surprise to find such a rare version had been released. It's all on how you present yourself and be patient.

The single item on these trucks that I was worried about is the transmission. Great tranny if working, but I don't want to think of the expense if dead. Everything else can be dealt with. The electrical is my 2nd concern. With 2 voltages in the power distribution box, there are 4 different relays in 12 and 24v and 4 and 5 pin configuration that will easily fit in any of the 20 relay sockets... my one unbreakable rule for anyone helping on the truck is they don't touch the electrics!:deadhorse:

I've been reading all the comments on the FMTVs, many are uninformed, and are 2nd hand comments, definately bias.
Think of a mechanic that worked all his life on '60s vintage Ford pickups and suddenly had a late '90s pickup put in front of him... he'll have little nice to say about them.
You'd never buy a Porsche if your mechanic only worked on Hondas:p

For my personal opinion, they're an overly complicated truck ( blame the spec writers), and some things were poorly done(live and learn:D), but I like the trucks overall

flighht2k5

Banned
Considering they are not made by S&S anymore. They are made by Oshkosh.

DSD277

Only ones used by Oshkosh that would be an exact crossover. And I wonder how the licensing with Steyr is handled, since the SS FMTV is a decendent of the Steyr 12M18

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oshkosh will not carry or supply parts for Stewart trucks?
Ditto what DSD Says above, but there are some minor differences (and improvements) between the S&S version and the Oshkosh version. compatability is iffy. In S. Korea we had to modify door latches to fit one older truck, but they matched exactly up with one that had just been fielded. At the time I didn't pay attention to who's name was on the front.

jpinst

I bought that one and nothing was wrong with the tranny. Once the fluids were changed it drove fine. What was a pain the A was all the rubber mounts were rotted and had to be replaced. Its also really doifficult to get parts for these. They are out there but nobody will sell to you or bothers getting back to you when they say they will. BAE apprved me as a customer, but their parts rep is so busy she takes weeks to reply to an email if at all. I had to have many parts made and other bits i bought off ebay. The one at Ft Hooks that sold last week was missing a ton or parts and had all kinds of obvious problems, and seemd to have been canabalized, hence the $13K price.

DSD277

On the M1078 this week, obviously, you must have inspected it. From the pics, the missing/damaged parts are cheap, some are non-issues. But if it is missing major mechanical parts, I'd run from it...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I was told that oshkosh has a contract with the government to rebuild and update most of the fmtv trucks. There are a few oddball models that for some reason or another do not meet the specifications of the oshkosh contract. Those are the trucks that are being released here and there b

NEIOWA

Fire Depts probably don't want them due to their maintenance upkeep. They are also top heavy so side hill firefighting is problematic. Next is problem of getting a brush guard on a cab over design. Add to this the height of the bed. Overall, I think they will say thanks but no thanks. Not sure how receptive they are to the 900 series 5 ton due to the flimsy, forward tilt hood. ....

Not at all. totally wrong. Snap up in a NY min. FD buy (no other option if have $) modern Frtliner/IH trucks which are way beyond the FMTV in "tech" (BS emissions). Even though expensive to fix. 6x6 FMTV new buys were used in some awesome wildlland fire trucks more than 10yrs ago. But the way expensive chassis were an "issue"/impossible for most rural FD.

For the last year the DOD surplus system for reutilization has been TOTALLY broken. DRMS Installed a new software system that requires multiple security layers so those of us who formerly reviewed listings at DRMS are largely shut out. Pretty much have to go to the DRMO and manually requisition. Little being reused my FD. Cops always have payroll $ to send a guy to review and much more than "normal" has ended up in GSA excess and reused to other qualifying agencies. And you guys likely have noticed a much higher than "normal" number of good quality items at govliquidation. Such as M916A1 M1028 (of the few left) etc

Rumors are the reutilization programs may be shut down due tbo rampant abuse my police dept (again, again, again........). The other part of this story (not yet broken) is the abuse by the Injuns of the GSA surplus system (including DOD equipment).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks