• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008, thinking about 700R4 swap??

Streetlegal

I got my old cucv, has 30K original miles but i use it for hauling wood only because the 4;56 gears and the non Od trans kills at 45MPH +
Im probably going to get it from you guys but, anyone have any luck putting the 700R4 and the 32 spline 208 back in the 400's place? id love that low 1st and over drive... I mean a 700R4 may be weak but the 6.2 is 155hp....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many have done this swap. Those that did rave about it. Those that did not curse the 700R4. As you pointed out, the 6.2 really doesn't have the power to destroy a reasonably built 700R4. Follow speddmons thread for some useful information. What most are doing is using the 27SP transfer case as a 32SP output shaft for the 700 is quite pricey.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a built 700R4 from an outfit called bowtie overdrives behind a 454 in a 78 chevy half ton it's a good transmission if put together correctly, biggest problem you may encounter is finding the TV cable adapter for a diesel.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should be finishing up my 700R4 conversion today. It's not a project for the faint of heart. At least it wan't for me. The more I dug into the truck, the more i found wrong. But It also gave me a change to fix those things that were wrong. I've been told that the worst thing for the R4 transmission is heat, so you absolutely must make provisions for the lock-up torque converter. There are 2 really attractive and reasonably priced options available for the R4. The first being the Transgo hydraulic lock-up kit 700-LU (this would be my preferred method if I had the proper core to use, NOTE, it only works with '83-'87 cores), and the Bowtie Overdrives brake switch lock-up kit (the one I ended up using), this kit also has an optional 3rd gear manual lock-up switch for heavy towing applications. And a secondary cooling system is not a bad idea. I got a large RV type oil cooler and bypassed the radiator cooler in the 1028/1031. There is a TON of information about the conversion on our site, lots of good reading. Just make sure you have all of your ducks in a row before you start this project.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Factory diesel 4x4 would be a great option. The more available option is the gasser 4x4 from the full size trucks (82-87) and full size suburban/blazers (82-91).

The gasser units will require a new diesel governor and low stall speed torque converter.

The TV cable isn't hard to find. It is the mounting bracket that is hard to find. They show up on fleabay for around $75+. I bought one of those and found only one at a junkyard in the 3 years I have been looking. There is a SS member that is looking into building new ones.

We just formed the CUCV Modification forum. We are slowly moving all the modification threads here. The rest are still in the CUCV forum. You can spend weekls and months there reading about all the trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks