• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

* Urgent TM help req. MEP009 Genset*

NEIOWA

Lots of electric out in Iowa for the last week. So far my town has dodged the bullet but heavy rain this morning changing to sleet and several inches of snow forcast for the next 36hr. More snow North of us.

Anyhow I/my FD has a MEP009B 200kw genset (w/18hr) I got from DOD thru the FEPP program. Mounted on a M832 dolly set. Our local electrical contractor is not sure of himself in how to set up for 240 3ph vs 208 3ph. We received no TMs with the unit and logsa has the -12 ands -34 TMs for 200kw sets locked for .mil only. TM for the MEP009A should also supply the info we need. (what the heck is classified about a 200kw genset???).

Or perhaps there is a generator operator/repairman manual that has the info?

Anyone out there help me with these manuals? Can post or email. Or can fax/email the page for the "adjusting" the buss bars that adjust output V?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have the info you need at home. Will post what I find in 4-5 hours from now.. whats your email? PM it to me if you like.

NEIOWA

No.2Diesel said:
That guy shouldn't call himself an electrician if he can't even do that. Sheesh :|
Yeah hooking up the wires isn't the issue. You have to adjust some buss bars etc to change over from 208 to 240V.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The large (15KW+) Military gennys arent "just hook them up and start it"... Settings, buss bars, and switches need to be set to generate the right voltage/amps... I wouldnt expect any civy electrican to be familiar with a MEP genny..

No.2Diesel

I must be very spoiled then:wink:. I suggest befriending an IBEW Union electrician because things like phases,motor control, switch gear, generators, transformers, voltage etc. are child's play to them regardless of whether they're MIL or Civi. I will speak my bro (he is one) and ask his opinion. I'm sure OPCOM can chime in with his knowledge on the subject.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I don't know anything about that big set. It probably has 6 or 12 windings though, and sure enough, large cables and busses to be connected. For sure mis-wiring it and then simply starting it could result in a spectacular disaster worthy of the youtube pay-per-view Gold Elite section.

Do you have pictures of the electrical connection panel? It's probably hidden behind a large cover. There should be a large dataplate somewhere with instructions or a diagram for different configurations. Maybe they don't use such on the big sets? I claim ignunce!

If you cannot find a TM, there is a way to figure it out manually, but it is vdangerous and somewhat complicated and most electricians would not know how to do it or would be afraid of it. The pot-head electricians who installed mine refused to rewire the genset. I easily rewired it myself because I had the manual.

If you can't find a Union Brother, then the solution is probably going to involve some social engineering: You need a generator set expert for this.

Do you have any friends who manage large office buildings (8-12 floors) and have 500KW emergency gensets to run the elevators etc? How about the local hospital maintenance department -it would have to have such a beast?

Point: - Such sets are almost always under maintenance contract from someone like stewart&stevenson or whomever made them, and their factory engineer who comes out once a year or so to test or load-bank the set - he would be the man you want to befriend.

The task is to determine what voltage you want, and then determine what voltage the set is rigged for, and then figure out how the windings are connected, and then to deduce how to rewire it for the desired voltage. Someone who knows 3-phase alternators can do this without a diagram.

If this fails, how about going through official channels from the fire department to LOGSA for the manual. With the proper authority calling them by phone at first, they might make an exception once things are verified. Could your FD or PD chief help?

CCATLETT1984

as I am aware, isnt the only difference between pulling 208v or 240v which two of the three legs you grab off of, you have two legs that are 180degrees out of phase with each other and a neutral leg. if you go from one hot leg to the other hot leg you get 240v, if you go from a hot leg to the neutral leg you will get 208v.

CCATLETT1984

CCATLETT1984 said:
as I am aware, isnt the only difference between pulling 208v or 240v which two of the three legs you grab off of, you have two legs that are 180degrees out of phase with each other and a neutral leg. if you go from one hot leg to the other hot leg you get 240v, if you go from a hot leg to the neutral leg you will get 208v.
I may have the connections for the 240v and 208v mixed up, its been a while.

CCATLETT1984

the company that has the contract for these is:

ENGINEERED ELECTRIC COMPANY
141 NORTH AVE
BRIDGEPORT, CT 06606

Here are the TM #'s from www.militaryinfo.com

TM 5-6115-458-24P
Generator Set, Diesel Engine Driven, Tactical Skid Mtd., 200 Kw, 3 Phase, 4 Wire, 120/208 and 240/416. DOD Model: MEP-009A, Class: Utility, Hertz: 50/60, NSN: 6115-00-133-9104; ; DOD Model: MEP-108A, Class: Precise, Hertz: 50/60, NSN: 6115-00-935-8729. (January 1977)(Including Changes 1 &2); 497 pages, 79 illus. Price 55.00 {Item No.5102} [Organization, Intermediate (Field) (Direct Support and General Support) and Depot Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools List][Including Optional kits: MEP-009-AWF, MEP-009-AWE, MEP-009-ALM]

TM 5-6115-458-34
Generator Set, Diesel Engine Driven, Tactical Skid Mtd., 200 Kw, 3 Phase, 4 Wire, 120/208 and 240/416. DOD Model: MEP-009A, Class: Utility, Hertz: 50/60, NSN: 6115-00-133-9104; DOD Model: MEP-108A, Class: Precise, Hertz: 50/60, NSN: 6115-00-935-8729. (15 January 1974)(Including Changes 1-6); 662 pages, 202 illus.Price 70.00 {Item No.5097}[Intermediate (Field) (Direct and General Support) and Depot Level Maintenance] [Including Optional kits: MEP-009-AWF, MEP-009-AWE, MEP-009-ALM]

you can also try this link:
https://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/ES-Programs/Force/Safety/Documents/tb43-0125.pdf

No.2Diesel

My point was that a residential electrician should not be expected to know much beyond wiring a three way switch :p and thought your department would benefit contacting a more qualified person. I apologize NEIOWA for sounding haughty and cavalier. I take no offense for the drone comment. Many opinions are formulated on personal experience.

I do have a Mil/Fire truck conversion question for you. When our local conversion shops make a Deuce or 5ton "Stump Jumper" they add a 8-14" "Fat box" to the back wall of the cab and top. The recipients of the trucks can't fit behind the steering wheel, I've been told. Is this specific modification done by you?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CCATLETT1984 said:
208 is done by either connecting the windings as a delta or a wye. 240 is done by connecting them as a zig-zag. The set you mention probably has 6 coils, two on each phase so you can go 120/240 or 208/416 by putting them in series or parallel and treating each pair as one. Once the wiring is done, you do a minor adjustment on the voltage regulator to set the exact volts.

There are some pretty diagrams on another thread showing this kind of thing and explaining the polarities and places to tap from. I took alot of time to draw them so look at them darn it!!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9335&highlight=wye

:wink:

NEIOWA

I now have the TM for the MEP009A (Cat engine). Looks to answer our questions for hookup as apparently same as our MEP009B (Cummins engine). Simple with the manual (but not intuitive).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks