• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blaster unit

now that i have a large trailer mounted air compresser, i am looking for a sandblast unit. any ideas as to what i should be looking for ? i have a few large items to clean up and paint. this part is new to me. looking for advice from one who has been there. have a 5 ton dump, 5 ton tractor, 5000 gal fuel tanker to blast just for starters.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Find the TIP website and buy a good, high quality unit. It goes without saying that you should buy a pressurized unit.

The cheap ones from Eastwood have cheap valves that easily become clogged.

It seems almost all the pressurized units I have unsed have been picky about the sand you feed them....wasn't able to use cheap play sand. Had to buy real abrasive. Find a local supplier (every city has them) and save on shipping costs.

98hd

If you haven't already heard or read about it, beware of using sand. If you breathe too much of it in you can get silicosis.

There are some really nice medias out there that work better than sand, and can be used on sheetmetal with some care also.

Dieselsmoke

If anybody is interested in a really nice, like new soda blast unit with compressor all set up for mobile use, PM me and I can give you the guy's contact info.

devilman96

Here is one of those "evils" I hate to bring up... BUT....

The units that are listed on GL are usually a hell of a bargain if you have a compressor BIG enough to run a pressurized hopper type unit you can pick them up for next to nothing. Some of these units are big enough that you could prolly use quarters for blast media!!! The advantages are they hold a lot of media, will usually take any type of media, and will take the white off of rice in the blink of an eye!!

I looked on GL to try and find a unit to show but all they have listed right now are cabinets... They do come up often so watch if ya want.

If your just looking for a pressure pot (im thinking not if your blasting that much stuff) you can find those about anywhere cheap. As for bad valves etc, just change them will ball valves, not a biggie if your only doing DIY work. You can run most medias in these but they are FUSSY about nozzle sizes and hose lengths. www.mscdirect.com is a good place to find supplies and accessories for just about any type of unit.

MrBlaster

Texas Blaster Recomendation

I know of this company that makes a rock solid pressure blaster, and has been making them for 38 years. It's simple to operate, only needs 7-10 CFM to feed it and will blast crunched up cow turds of you can get them in there.
Try www.texasblaster.com they've got thousands of satisfied guys like you because it works and it's easy to use.

MrBlaster

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Texas Blaster Recomendation

What about a spot blaster? You can use sand, glass or walnut. And the good ones are very reasonable.

jasonjc

I have one. I replaced the gun and pick up tube with one from TIP tools. But for the price you can't go wrong.

Jones

If you're doing this in the open and not in a cabinet then; absolutely, positively, without fail-- get yourself a positive pressure hood. They fit like a full face shield motorcycle helmet; gotta squeeze into them and they seal at the neck; but like 98hd says, you DO NOT want to be breathing the dusts. The air gets filled almost instantaneously with sand, powdered sand, powdered rust, old paint, etc. Remember too that blasting generates heat which will warp small thin stuff into a tin potato chip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks