• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

five ton from GL?

derby

I am lookign at a couple of trucks at GL.has anyone had any dealings with them?this will be my first MV,so I don't want to make a mistake that I will regret.do not have time to go to the base to inspect.can i get info from the base info # or is that just for setting up pickup and inspection?also does any one know what current low bed trucking is running?

Desert Rat

Derby,

Where are you at? Please put it in your info and signature. That way we can help you better. BTW, GL does not issue an SF-97 with any vehicle anymore. So, unless you have a judge as a good friend who's willing to help mandate the state issue you a title, you're in for a MAJOR headache. I'd say buy from a private party like I'm doing to get my five ton.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Not to sound too harsh, and I apologize if I do, but you NEED to make the time to go see any truck you plan on bidding on. Never ever EVER bid on or buy a GL truck without either inspecting it first, or sending someone knowledgable about them in your place to check it out.

GL/DRMO will NOT be of assistance to you in any way when it comes to determining the roadworthiness of your rig. The trucks are sold as-is and it's buyer beware. A single DRMO lot can have dozens, maybe even hundreds of these trucks on it, and they simply don't know (and don't care) to keep records of exactly what might be wrong with all of them. Don't ask them questions in that reguard, the only thing they want to hear out of you is when you're taking it off thier lot, and unless it can be forklifted out of there, you'll be in charge of your own load-out.

Also be aware, GL has since discontinued giving titles with these trucks, only bills of sale, and depending on where you live, you may find the DMV won't give you plates or let you be street legal since your truck has no title.

Buying one blind is a good way to end up with a 6 ton paperweight

A friend of ours, Walter, did the same thing. Bought a deuce from GL that looked pretty good in the pictures, but had a cracked engine block. It ran well enough to limp it home, and it broke down once the way (he was very lucky it was repairable) in the end, he had to spend an additional couple thousand to get a new engine for that truck, and we still haven't tackled the task of swapping it in, which in itself, requires a nominal investment in tools and shop space to get it done (or pay for someone else to do it, also costly).

He's also fortunate that he had space to store the truck free of charge while he accumulated the needed parts to fix it, I can't imagine what a headache it would be for him if he had to rent out storage space on top of that with a truck that couldn't be moved under it's own power.

My Dad and I were fortunate enough to locate an M35 for sale from a private seller who even let us test drive our truck. Prior to that, we had been perusing GL trucks, and had several that looked good but turned out to be less flattering in person. (We took work days off to go see them, 120 mile round trip drives, yes, it's nessicarry, had we bid on them, we would have bought losers)

Bottom line. It's very easy to get wooed into buying a deuce, but remember, there are plenty of these trucks still left, and don't let your check-writing hand run out in front of your common sense, or you are going to regret it. I am a firm beliver that a visual inspection and test drive (the latter ususaly not possible in GL/DRMO sales) are a must before you buy somthing like a deuce. I welcome everyone who wants into the hobby, but know what you're getting into, or else you could blow a lot of money and never have a running truck to show for it.

Unless you are a dedicated hobby mechanic, and have the tools, time, money and know-how to rebuild one, don't buy blind.

Other than that, welcome to the club.

derby

Thank's for the advice.I can not seem to locate a truck in my area.the two at GL. are between 260and 380 miles away.about the furthest I would consider hauling a truck.I would consider buying one further away if it were driveable.buy the way, I contacted the dmv here in Mi.and they said without a title and only bill of sale ,I could get a title if I secured an assurance bond with a local insurance co. contacted them, they said for the bond (2 years) it would be 150.00.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patience my friend. There are quite a bit of deuces up your way. Like others have said, unless you have some exceptional equipment and storage space, better off waiting for a known driver. How far are you from Holland MI? Pierre Jalving might have one up there. I don't have contact onfo for him though. Might try hitting Aberdeen MD if you can get away for a few days this weekend. Pierre will be there along wiith a slew of other deuces. Might find your dream truck there too.

derby

I am about 160 miles or so from holland mi. can't get away to MD, wish I could.maybee someone has contact info for him?

patch

Derby- To second what Kenny said, be patient; there seems to be quite a few list members in Mich. and I'm sure someone in the area has a deuce for sale that will work for ya. Hang out here on the forum for a while and something is sure to come up, and you'll learn alot about the deuce as well. Also check the classifieds on this site, and there's always ebay too, some of the guys here have bought from ebay and had pretty good luck going that route. Maybe they'll chime in here with their ebay experiences. At any rate, I'd consider GL to be a seller of last resort, based on the comments I've seen on this forum. Good luck!

motorolanut

I concur with Low Tech and all the above, I have bought three trucks from GL in the past all sight unseen and got burned only once, now I know better. I thought wow it sure looks good in the photo, and sure enough I found out later the engine was locked up tight!!, Luckly I traded it off to dealer for other stuff. Long story short, There is no substitute for a physical inspection PERIOD. Good luck with GL there are still alot of nice trucks out there. Mine were all from the east coast regions.

Desert Rat

I strongly concurr with inspecting. Before my truck went up for auction in Chicago I inspected it TWICE and actually got to drive it once (just a quick back-and-forth 30 foot drive) and knew I had a winner. I've since put in well over $6K into her and am still turning wrenches on her almost every weekend to improve some aspect of her performance. Patience and a gradual gain of information about the truck and the hobby comes with time. Bottom line is don't hurry into this "Green Fever". It will take hold on its own fast enough.

Since GL now refuses to give the SF-97s with the sale I'm going to Howard Hammond's yard in Greenville, KY to get a five ton restorable project truck (I know, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment). He's got all the stuff I need to make it a running truck and the paperwork to back it up too. Plus I'm not pushed for time and the price I can't beat anywhere else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks