• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

who built the first 5 ton?

2deuce

Does anyone know when the first M series 5 ton was built and who built them? I know International built some in the early 50's, were they the first? Like the M35, were there many manufacturers? Does anyone know production numbers of these early gas engine models? Thanks, Greg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early trucks were designed mostly in conjunction with International Harvester. They built lots within the first years ('50- on), as well as Mack and Diamond T. Later came Kaiser Jeep and AM general. All the gassers had the excellent Continental R-6602. A massive 602 CI six and a 5-speed straight transmission by Spicer, reportedly the largest 5-speed synchromesh ever built for road use.

For a short time, they were built by KJ with the Mack ENDT-673 Diesel engine and an OD transmission. Many gassers underwent conversions by the military to Diesel with this powerplant. It was given the "A1" suffix to indicate a Mack-powered truck.

Starting around 1968 they were built with the LDT-465-1A multifuel engine and 5-speed straight transmission, and given the "A2" designator.

With the 800-series, all of them I've seen were by KJ or AM General. They had the distinctive front sheetmetal to accomodate the Cummins NHC-250 Diesel, again with the OD trans.

The 900's were either AM General or General Products Division. With International buying up the leavings of AM General from GM now (they will reportedly be building Hummers too), I'm not sure what brand things will be.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks