• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Obtaining a Ca. title for CUCV Blazer

dilvoy

My brother recently bought a M1009 from Gov. Liquidation and of course, it did not come with the form 97. It was stated in the auction so it was no suprise. When My brother went to the DMV with his "paid in full invoice" from GL, which had the VIN number printed on it, the DMV said that that was not proof that the vehicle was released by the Govt. to GL. I had thought that a bill of sale would do the trick in CA, but I was wrong. There must be a way to title this vehicle, but we haven't found out how yet. I told my brother to tell the DMV that GL is the official seller of surplus goods for the Govt. and they should be registered as auto dealers and if they are exempted from being registered as an auto dealer because of their affiliation with the Fed Govt. that is all the more reason to use the bill of sale as proof of their right to sell the vehicle for the Govt. Does anyone have any other ideas on the matter? Thanks.

Jetnoise400

I've found that when dealing with the CA DMV, your first action should be to get out of the big cities and head for a more rural town's DMV office. They tend to be more helpful, more willing to work with you, and usually a lot easier to deal with.

As for your brother's problem, hard to say. But maybe a simple change of offices might yield a more flexible gov't employee behind the counter. But if all else fails, ask to see the shift supervisor and ask them what they want you to do given the fact that GL is too lazy to do the proper paperwork. In fact, bring with you a printed copy of the official GL policy statement that spells out they won't provide an SF97. It might help.

Above all, be very nice and courteous. I'm afraid that's the best advice I can offer.

dilvoy

Definitly getting out of the built up city areas is a good idea. My brother went north to Petaluma, I guess it's not far out enough anymore. I'll tell him to go farther out. Thanks

BKinzey

CA DMV? Smart as dirt and about as bright :x :x :x :x

Contact Sacramento. That's what I had to do. My event had to do with a dirt bike and whether I could get a Green Sticker (all year riding) or Red (restricted) The clerk tried to give me a red sticker and all hilarity broke loose. Went through 2 levels of people and they all made the assumption the previous clerk was in the right. I could tell by the glazed look as they "read."

After explaining the sentence structure about 10 times I got a little perturbed. The moment the manager arrived she said "I don't need you hassling my people." I knew it was over. She didn't know what was going on but of course whatever it was it was my fault. :roll: :roll:

So anyway good luck!

dilvoy

The main sticking issues that my brother is having or that I think he is having, since he starts yelling and foaming at the mouth when I ask him about it, is that the DMV comes up with nothing when they punch in the vin numbers and they are not shure that the vehicle was actually released by the Govt. It could very well be stolen as far as they are concerned. He has left a message with someone in Sacramento, HA! I wonder if he will actually get a return call, and is awating an answer to his problem.

dilvoy

Latest Update: My brother did recieve a call back from the DMV person in Sacramento and was told that there has to be a form 97 to show that the Govt. released the vehicle. The person even read off the number of a section of a federal code that said that the form 97 must be presented. My brother has since talked to GL and told them that they may be breaking law by selling vehicles without providing the form 97. I told my brother to call them back tomorrow and have them show him proof that they legally had posession of the vehicle in question. We'll see what happens.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep us informed. I know I'm not the only one eager to see what happens. Good luck.

Jones

I'm wondering if a call to the head of DRMO would have any effect. Hate to sing the praises of attorneys but maybe now, some official looking correspondence would help. If he can't get clear title, the last thing he needs is to be worrying about a possession of stolen government property beef?

mhb285

Do a file 343 with the Cal DMV. I got a Irvine Ca PD Comm officer to come to me for the inspection. They like seeing the cop sign-off on paperwork. Plus you got to use this form with them anyhow to get plates..
I bet you can buffalo your way past em with a completed form 343. Otherwise reg as "homemade".......
Mike

Attachments

Jones

Watch out for homebuilt, kit car, similar classifications. The base for them is "year of completion". That means your brother's CUCV can turn into a 2006 vehicle with ALL 2006 requirements; seatbelts/shoulder restraints, airbags, 2006 level smog equipment, meeting various crash test and safety levels.
On a vehicle by vehicle basis, if it's not in the system and if you are willing to sign a "Statement of Facts" form as to ownership for however long you've had it, you can specify that the original paperwork/title was lost by you. This will require you to get the vehicle inspected to be sure the VIN is in it's proper location and has not been altered. Might be the way to consider going.
After a series of antique cars- some with no title, just a bill of sale, I've gotta say that my small-town DMV is definately better to deal with that the big city guys. In order to run 1929 plates on my 1929 Ford, I've even learned how to politely lean over the counter and point them through Year of Manufacture plates processes. Above all, be polite. These people can bring you to your knees if they decide to. Clerks seem to have a great deal of leeway in what they require and there's no profit in getting them cranky so that they load you up with forms you "must" have.

dilvoy

Latest update, My brother told me that someone from the DMV in Sacramento left a message saying that he will be recieving the neccessary forms in the mail to obtain title.

dilvoy

Just a little update on the obtaining a Ca. Title for a no SF 97 CUCV. My brother has been in on an island in Greece getting a suntan on his back side for the last three weeks so I have no info to pass along at this time, except that I wish I was there.

dilvoy

Here should be the last update in this saga. The DMV never acutally sent anything to my brother, but he somehow talked GL into sending him the SF97. I guess he is very lucky.

On a similar note, just this afternoon I recieved an e mail from GL addressed to "Vehicle Buyers". Basically is said that they will now provide the SF97 if you request it and you will have to have the vehicle inspected by the appropriate person and have them fill out an inspection form. GL also goes on to say that they need this info to complete the SF97. That's bull, as the DRMO fills the SF97's out before release. OH Ya, they want $60 to do you the favor of passing on the SF97. They go on to say that this applies to vehicles sold after Sept/12/05, so if someone bought a vehicle under the no Title era of GL sales, you are in luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks