• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fitting a winch

martin

Hi
I am thinking about buying another Deuce but this one does not have a winch.However, the seller knows someone who is selling one.
Can anyone tell me how straightforward it is to fit. Will the truck have the necessary PTO already and will I have to cut the cab floor for the control lever?
Please can anyone assist.
Thanks,
Martin

WCJIV

I have now rebuilt two winches with new seals and bearings. The total parts run about $300 but I have no more oil leaks. Both winches got water in them at some point and rusted the bearings. In the photo section I have a diagram with the part numbers for the seals from Napa and a commericial bearing company along with pics of the seals. The Napa bearing is BRG6309J. Memphis Equip has all of these as well using the military part number which is in my diagram. I would urge you to tear it apart before you mount it as it is easy to do if you are mechanically inclined. I guess you wouldn't own a Deuce if you weren't.

My truck did not have a winch and thus I needed the bumper extension brackets which Saturn has. You will need a PTO unit, PTO drive shaft and winch handle. My PTO came from White Owl in NC. There is a trick to installing the PTO and I will have Kenny explain it.There should be a hole in the floor already for the shift handle. I believe Saturn sells the winch lock flap that installs in the cab. Any questions let me know as I have installed the winch twice.

FYI the second winch came from Adelmans and was $350 plus about $160 in shipping. It did need new seals and bearings but otherwise was in good rebuildable shape. Make sure you ask for a hook and chain as they normally will not throw it in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if you replaced the brake pad (flat one on side of drum), mine lets the spool roll freely. Is the pad available?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks ,this winter I'll be rebuilding my winch.

mangus580

Yeah, mine is currently 'missing' the brake. I had to rebuild the support plates on my winch, and when I had it apart, I discovered the pad was gone, so I took it out to have it relined... Never did though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks