• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filer Cannister Hold Down Bolt Leak

houdel

I changed the oil filters on my Deuce today with a fresh set of Baldwin filters. The base gaskets were a perfect fit, but the red fiber washer which goes under the head of the hollow cannister hold down bolt wasn't even close, so I had to reuse the old washers. Filled her up with fresh oil, started it up, and of course one of the hold down bolts was leaking. Tightened as much as I dared, still leaks.

My chances of getting the right fiber gasket anyplace around here, especially on a Saturday, probably range from zilch to nada. Anybody have a thought for a good field expedient replacement gasket? Would a nice, thick HD "O" ring work? Or would an "O" ring blow out from the radial pressure, since it has no support around the circumference?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure the torque spec. is 60 ft/lbs, for the oil filter housing bolt. As for a "quick fix" gasket, a cereal box will usually work for temporary emergency gasket material!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: washer

Normal gasket material will squish out. I was considering stamping out some copper gaskets similar to thats used on brake banjo fittings

houdel

RE: washer

Surprisingly, I got a usable fibre washer at the second auto parts store I tried. I expected the first place, a Carquest shop, would have them as they are a larger store and seem to carry a fair amount of HD truck stuff but nope, no such luck. Then I went to a PartsPlus store, a smaller place, but they carry the "Dorman" line of auto hardware. After a little digging around, he found a usable gasket. Same ID but a little smaller OD. I compared his with my old one, the OD of the Dorman gasket was larger than the "crush" area of my old gasket so I figured it would work OK. Bought 4 so I'd have some for the next filter change plus a spare, cost me all of $1.58, including sales tax for the four of them.

Lightly sandpapered the top of my oil filter cannister to smooth out any rough spots or burrs that could be a potential source for leaking, reinstalled the filter and cannister, fired it up, no leak! Went for a short spin to get the engine warmed up, still no leak so I guess I am OK!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks