• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

factory tach install will it work?

48cj2a

Thank you for your generosity Gene!

The eBay links are still broken and they freak out on here when you post one:shrugs:

Just search eBay for: CUSTOM-PROGRAMMED-TACH-ADAPTER and see post #57 for more info on the correct options

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmm........ I thought it was against the forum rules to post links to any Ebay auction. Am I wrong?

MarcusOReallyus

You can mention eBay (some people seem to think even mentioning it is forbidden!) and I'm 99% sure you can even link to a SELLER'S STOREFRONT.

The rule is NO LIVE AUCTIONS. That includes eBay or anywhere else.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the Rules:

Auction Postings:please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.• Do not post links to auction photos. • Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad. • No collusion as specified above.

No E Bay links are permitted including the Buy It Now.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost ordered one with the same specs as Winston, but I'm in doubt now. I'm going to change to a 6.5 which currently has a serpentine belt drive with one (smaller) alternator. Not sure if I will keep it that way or convert it to the CUCV belt system with dual alternators. If so I will also need to make sure the pulleys are still original I guess. Maybe I should get a universal one or wait until I know for sure what I want...

GKGoodCheapParts

Sorry all, didn't realize about the links, it never occurred to me that they might consider a buy-it-now to be an "auction". The links should still work if you copy and paste them, or you should be able to email me via the forum, I made my addy public. For Rutjes, if the alternator phase count (pulses per rotation of the alternator) and both pulley rolling diameters (alternator and crank) are the same as Winston's, then his ratio should work. The length of the belt (dual or single alternator) has no effect on things, only the rolling diameters. If they differ from Winston's, you can do the same thing he did, use a Universal to find the right ratio and then get a custom based on the results. Winston kept his Universal, but I'll always take a return for credit as long as the Universal is fit for resale and not banged-up (of course, postage from the Netherlands might make that less desirable).

MarcusOReallyus

Sorry all, didn't realize about the links, it never occurred to me that they might consider a buy-it-now to be an "auction".

Well, you could argue that a Buy It Now is not an auction, and you'd be right, but how would anybody police that? A mod would have to go to every eBay link and examine it to make a determination. No way they have time for that, so....

That probably explains why I was wrong about the storefront links, too, though I have seen it done.

GKGoodCheapParts

True. I understand the concern, it's fine. However, some of our products would be uniquely useful to people here, and for the record, we're a reputable vendor with good feedback who stands behind what we sell. So anyone worried about e-shennanigans shouldn't worry. Now y'all know where to find us.

ssdvc

If anyone has a spare one of those tach units laying around, I would be interested. This looks like a very clean mod to a stock truck.

OP, It looks like you have done other mods to your truck, but in a stock 09, after one installed the tach, would all the other gauges/warning lights work as designed?

Sly

Here are some photos detailing where I needed to cut the stock dash, and how the unit is wired up. You will need to purchase a tachometer adapter from Widget Man.

They can be found on E Bay under CUSTOM-PROGRAMMED-TACH-ADAPTER

The unit will need a ratio of 1 : 5.33, with a 12 Volt output. 1.5 millisecond blanking time.

When you wire in the tach, do not tap into the ignition 12+ wire in dash wiring harness, when the glow plugs cycle, it kills power to the dash, so the tach will read zero when the glow plugs are lit or cycling.

Here is where it hits and where I had to cut out, you do not need to cut the circuit board. I used a dremmel with a cutting disc:

View attachment 750244View attachment 750245

Here is the wiring. I took the diagrams off the site here, but I'm not sure if they are 100% correct. You only need to worry about the fuel sender input, ground, and hot. The tach is wired separately. I grounded to the grounding block/terminals under the dash. I did also buy a small brake light indicator and put that up between my voltage gauges. Just tap into the brake light wires if you want to add that. Fuel sender wire is terminal 18 on the board, and the pink wire in the harness. I added a second tank, so that's why I showed it switching in the video. Don't worry if your tach doesn't have the wiring plug, it will work with just normal spade terminals. The tach is clearly marked, so you won't mess it up.

View attachment 750242View attachment 750246View attachment 750248View attachment 750249

The tach has a jumper, and I broke mine. So, I soldered wires to allow me to test the different positions. Use the jumper position shown, or do what I did below and just connect the 2 wires. If you don't have the jumper, or yours is in the wrong position, be sure you take off the plastic backing plate or you will break the jumper trying to get it out. If you are installing the jumper, make sure you have the metal tab under it, or it won't complete the circuit. In the picture below, you would want the red and white wires to be connected. I was doing some testing, that's why I made it so I could change the circuit without taking the dash back out.

View attachment 750243View attachment 750247
Hello! i'm new here and Gene refferd me to go here to find good info to swap my fuel gauge to C60 tach/fuel combo! big thx to you for all the right up gonna help me a lot! :)

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
From the Rules:

Auction Postings:please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.• Do not post links to auction photos. • Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad. • No collusion as specified above.

No E Bay links are permitted including the Buy It Now.
and this got changed too

Sly

no more old diesel board...welcome new and improve technologie! ;)

Edit: Installed and works great...even with LS engine swaps no need for resistor or other adapter! ;)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks