• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 M939 VIN location....where I found mine.....

MO MV man

Hello all,

After doing numerous searches, I couldn't find a definitive VIN location for my M923.
So I spent a little while looking closely at my driver front frame rail and found what appeared to be a stamping barely showing through the paint layers.
Sure enough, after some brake cleaner and scotchbrite, I uncovered it.
I'm no expert so whether this applies to all the M939's? I cannot say.

It was directly above the axle centerline. See attached picture.

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I figured it couldn't hurt to repost. :)

Attachments

Ghost00TJ

I was gonna contact you MO MV man if there was any luck yet on your sf97. I filed mine with the SN in the cab and a note of the unit designation preceeding the SN. They [gl] said up tp a 30 day turn around on the sf97.

commandojeff

I was gonna contact you MO MV man if there was any luck yet on your sf97. I filed mine with the SN in the cab and a note of the unit designation preceeding the SN. They [gl] said up tp a 30 day turn around on the sf97.
It took a while for mine to come back. I think it was about 3 and a half weeks. All you can do is hurry up and wait.

MO MV man

Hey guys,

I'm waiting patiently for the SF97.
I spoke with poolmike and it seemed his was right at about 30 days?
Not bad.
3 and a half weeks is cool, too. :)

With the holiday in there, it may slow things a bit.

bogshotrods

Hello all,

After doing numerous searches, I couldn't find a definitive VIN location for my M923.
So I spent a little while looking closely at my driver front frame rail and found what appeared to be a stamping barely showing through the paint layers.
Sure enough, after some brake cleaner and scotchbrite, I uncovered it.
I'm no expert so whether this applies to all the M939's? I cannot say.

It was directly above the axle centerline. See attached picture.

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I figured it couldn't hurt to repost. :)
Thanks so much for posting the picture, but I don't see any numbers "in" the scratched part of the picture but I do see some numbers just in front and in a verticle position are those the VIN, thanks again I'll look again in the morning sun and with some cleaner and scratch bright

MO MV man

Sorry about the belated response, bogs.
The numbers were visible but try as I did, I couldn't get them "camera visible".
Trust me, they were very much so there.
Hopefully they're as easy to find on the M931A2 I am picking up tomorrow. ;)

The numbers just ahead of the serial stamping are, correct me if I'm wrong.....some sort of steel or frame manufacturer numbers? I don't believe they have any relevance to IDing the truck.

bogshotrods

I was unable to find a VIN number on the driver side frame rail just above the front axle, and here in Ca I had to take the truck to the CHP to get it VIN verified and the CHP officer was cool and just used the VIN on the dash placard to do the VIN verification and signed it off checking a box on the DMV form " NONE N/A " and it wasn't an issue with the Ca DMV which is a pain in the a$$ to deal with, they just said" that'll be "$699.00 " and gave me the license plates, and yea Ca sucks for license fees, We get charged for weights here and since the truck is 21,000 empty I had to register it at 26,000 poounds

Gunzy

I have 2 trucks, a M923 and a M932A2. Neither have numbers in the frame and neither have been overhauled. From what I understand the get stamped in the frame at overhaul and will not have one there if it has not gone through an overhaul/rebuild.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 trucks, a M923 and a M932A2. Neither have numbers in the frame and neither have been overhauled. From what I understand the get stamped in the frame at overhaul and will not have one there if it has not gone through an overhaul/rebuild.
Mine was stamped but my truck was never overhauled or depot. It is a plain Jane and right where everyone else has found them on the frame below the steering box.

quickfarms

I was unable to find a VIN number on the driver side frame rail just above the front axle, and here in Ca I had to take the truck to the CHP to get it VIN verified and the CHP officer was cool and just used the VIN on the dash placard to do the VIN verification and signed it off checking a box on the DMV form " NONE N/A " and it wasn't an issue with the Ca DMV which is a pain in the a$$ to deal with, they just said" that'll be "$699.00 " and gave me the license plates, and yea Ca sucks for license fees, We get charged for weights here and since the truck is 21,000 empty I had to register it at 26,000 poounds
The fees are charged for a commercial vehicle. In CA if it is not historic then it is commercial. They did away with the non commercial truck registration because to many people were using the vehicles for commercial purposes.

Now that you registered it as commercial you have to put the weight stickers on the truck. You will also need a motor carrier permit, CA numbers, a CDL and stopping at every open scale to comply with the law.

Artisan

If it is not seen or barely visible on the frame it is probably due
to several layers of paint plus OE primer. Perhaps hit that area
w/ a conditioning pad or a hand held media blaster and
watch it appear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks