• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 M939 VIN location....where I found mine.....

tmike

There is not even a hint of a number on the frame rail of my (never overhauled) 1990? BMY M923A2. I sanded through all of the muck very carefully...and nada. --> Using the vehicle ID plate number 23/XXXXX instead.

Last edited:

mtokarz

Good day, I have a 1984 AM General M923 5 ton 6x6 cargo truck. When I attempted to clear off the paint on the driver's side frame to find the VIN, it was or appears to be the very same number that is on the tag inside the truck (which is cool, but not 17 digits, like most need to have for DMV). I did speak to the NV DMV today, and the gentleman there stated that I can get an OHV inspection to get a title issued to me. Did one of you gentlemen say that you found your VIN on the frame of the passengers side? Any tips or advice is most welcome. This truck is for sale, bought 3.5 years ago at an auction for $10,000, only very little drive time on it, it was reconditioned before auction, wonderful shape. Other question: What should I sell this baby for? The only nightmare I've had with selling this puppy is I don't have a title, so that's been a terrible headache. I'd sure appreciate any help.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good day, I have a 1984 AM General M923 5 ton 6x6 cargo truck. When I attempted to clear off the paint on the driver's side frame to find the VIN, it was or appears to be the very same number that is on the tag inside the truck (which is cool, but not 17 digits, like most need to have for DMV). I did speak to the NV DMV today, and the gentleman there stated that I can get an OHV inspection to get a title issued to me. Did one of you gentlemen say that you found your VIN on the frame of the passengers side? Any tips or advice is most welcome. This truck is for sale, bought 3.5 years ago at an auction for $10,000, only very little drive time on it, it was reconditioned before auction, wonderful shape. Other question: What should I sell this baby for? The only nightmare I've had with selling this puppy is I don't have a title, so that's been a terrible headache. I'd sure appreciate any help.
The 7 digit ID number is what you use for the VIN. Keep poking at the DMV employees until they figure out how to except it. A lot them add 10 characters such as X or 0 to the beginning or end of your 7 digits to achieve the modern 17 character VIN, but this is not ideal.

As for price, unless it's an extremely exceptional M923 with some highly desirable options, you likely overpaid at auction for it and will be fortunate if you break even.

mtokarz

The 7 digit ID number is what you use for the VIN. Keep poking at the DMV employees until they figure out how to except it. A lot them add 10 characters such as X or 0 to the beginning or end of your 7 digits to achieve the modern 17 character VIN, but this is not ideal.

As for price, unless it's an extremely exceptional M923 with some highly desirable options, you likely overpaid at auction for it and will be fortunate if you break even.
Hi Jbulach, thank you so much for responding. Okay, I am not an expert at these, so I was wondering which 7 digit ID should I use? I do have a DT ID number, an NSN, and ID: Identification NO.: NL127S C52309439. Let me know which one I should use or is used most often?

I poked at DMV, I do have a sheriff coming out to do a vehicle inspection for an OHV (off highway vehicle) since they are no longer considered street legal, I was told by the main inspector that once I get that, I need only apply for the title with the fee and I should be able to get a title. If it works out I will let you know. It was a friend of mine that bought it at auction, so glad it wasn't my loss-okay, I appreciate your time.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your Identification number looks strange. Can you post a picture of the aluminum dash plate, or the numbers on the frame rail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Hi Jbulach, thank you so much for responding. Okay, I am not an expert at these, so I was wondering which 7 digit ID should I use? I do have a DT ID number, an NSN, and ID: Identification NO.: NL127S C52309439. Let me know which one I should use or is used most often?

I poked at DMV, I do have a sheriff coming out to do a vehicle inspection for an OHV (off highway vehicle) since they are no longer considered street legal, I was told by the main inspector that once I get that, I need only apply for the title with the fee and I should be able to get a title. If it works out I will let you know. It was a friend of mine that bought it at auction, so glad it wasn't my loss-okay, I appreciate your time.

Why is it not street legal?
The vin is the number that starts at C523xxxxx
If it is a nice clean M923A2 $10k is not unreasonable but not sure where i got A2 from but still want to know why it is off road only?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks