• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo ?

rsh4364

A buddy of mine who wants me to turbo my 1009 pointed out theres 3 or 4 6.5 turbo motors sitting in a yard near our yard,they are in 1ton utility trucks duallys,2wheel drive,4l80e trans. early to mid 90s.Is there anything I should be grabbing off these trucks ?

jdknech

Intake (upper and lower) exhaust manifolds, and turbo (and oil return lines) fuel pump(electric, it's on the driver frame rail) I did this to my old m1009 and it was like night and day difference

rsh4364

Thanks ,he said 5-6psi would make a world of difference, Any other mods to motor needed for the swap? If 6.5 is good should swap whole motor? can I use these trannys at all ?

jdknech

The 4l80e trans is all electronic, so unless you want to buy a controller($500-$1000) you can't use them.. If the engine is a 1993 or EARLER you could use it with no real problem.. The newer ones are electronic controlled and won't work with out a ton of work.. I would just turbo the 6.2 and run a 10psi max.. I've had both, and preferred the 6.2.. It seemed to run stronger with the turbo then the 6.5..

richingalveston

If you can get the entire motor, trans and wiring harness out of the trucks for cheap then you can put it in the cucv without a ton of mods, the mid 90's 6.5 engine computers controled the trans also so no extra computer is needed. However, the 6.5's with the pmd issues have some mods needed to make them reliable also. either putting a turbo, the 6.2 or the 6.5 will require exhaust changes that will require frame trim or running exhaust outside frame rail.

Gunfighter1

Rich, i didnt have to trim my frame or run exhause on the outisde frame rail when i put my turbo in. Had to have a down pipe and new exhaust fabbed up wich a muffler shop did no problem.

richingalveston

If you have some time, shoot us some pics of the exhaust work, I am considering the turbo in the near future and I do not want to cut my frame or run outside the rails. looking at my engine, I cant see where there is enough room for two pipes in that location.

iacucv

Gunfighter, I would also love to see how you did your exhaust with the turbo. It's been one of the big questions in my planning of turboing my 1008.

Ditto... on more pics Gunfighter.... as this has been my hold up.. in working out a plan of attack.... ( .... Im at 70% decided on just modding the passenger floor pan a bit to provide enough clearance for down pipe from turbo..as .... like alot folks here about to do same mod, dont want to cut frame or run it on the outside.)

Triple C

I have a 93 and a 97 6.5 and they are night and day different. The 97 runs the electronic Standyne db4 pump with the PMD. NOT a good system. I would stay away from that if I were you. Also, the earlier motors were heavier blocks. The 1993 is reported to be the best cast block they made and it uses a mechanical pump. If you look at a newer motor, you need to know if it is a "F" or "S" model motor. The "S" model motor has an exhaust gas recycler system, you don't want that intake manifold for sure.

bearboley

The 4l80e trans is all electronic, so unless you want to buy a controller($500-$1000) you can't use them.. If the engine is a 1993 or EARLER you could use it with no real problem.. The newer ones are electronic controlled and won't work with out a ton of work.. I would just turbo the 6.2 and run a 10psi max.. I've had both, and preferred the 6.2.. It seemed to run stronger with the turbo then the 6.5..
You can actully run a 4L80 with 4 wires and a couple toggle switches. Those have a constant 12v to the trans and 2 shift solenoids inside that shift on grounds, ground A solenoid you get 1st no grounds 2nd B solenoid gets you 3rd, A and B gets you overdrive. One more switch will get you tc lockup. Line pressure in defaul high you get nice firm shifts.

Gunfighter1

Ditto... on more pics Gunfighter.... as this has been my hold up.. in working out a plan of attack.... ( .... Im at 70% decided on just modding the passenger floor pan a bit to provide enough clearance for down pipe from turbo..as .... like alot folks here about to do same mod, dont want to cut frame or run it on the outside.)
Sorry for the slow response, ill try to get some good pictures of it this week and post them up. I had a local muffler shop bend it up for me and do the whole exhaust so i cant take any credit for it but ill put up the pics of how it was done and hopefully helo you guys out.

MarcusOReallyus

You can take credit for being smart enough to let a pro do it. Some things just aren't good for an amateur to tackle, but some guys aren't smart enough to figure that out. ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks